Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur
Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur! This is our homemade version of Grand Marnier, made low FODMAP. Grand Marnier contains brandy, which has not been tested for FODMAPs. We have used navel orange peel, bitter orange peel (more on that later), and low FODMAP vodka and whiskey, in addition to sugar and water, to make an orange liqueur we know you will love.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Made 6 cups (1.4 L); ¼ cup (60 ml) serving size; 24 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Resting Time 21 days
Total Time: 21 days 15 minutes
Makes: 24 Servings
Calories: 185 kcal
medium navel oranges,
preferably organic, scrubbed well
dried bitter orange peel
cups (480 ml)
cups (480 ml)
100 proof vodka
cups (396 g)
cups (360 ml)
Have ready a large glass container with an airtight lid.
Peel the oranges very carefully; you want only the outer part of the orange-colored zest and not any of the white pith. Use the no-FODMAP orange flesh for fruit salad, smoothies or snacks.
Combine the zest, dried bitter orange peels, whiskey and vodka in your reserved container. Screw lid on tightly and shake. Let mixture steep for 20 days at room temperature in a cool, dark location.
Stir sugar and water together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, swirling occasionally to help sugar dissolve. Let this sugar syrup cool, then pour into jar. Shake everything up together, then strain the contents of the jar through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the solids. Pour into whatever storage bottles you like, but they should be airtight glass bottles or jars. Shake and let rest at least overnight before use. Store in sealed containers at room temperature in a cool area for up to three months. (It might last longer, but the flavors will begin to change).
Serve as you would Grand Marnier: straight up, on the rocks or used in mixed drinks with other low FODMAP ingredients. See our Tips for a few ideas.
Ways to use your Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur (obviously use low FODMAP amounts):
- Combine champagne with a bit of Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur.
- Make a souped-up Mimosa with sparkling wine, orange juice and Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur. Did you know that freshly squeezed orange juice contains nob FODMAPs according to Monash?
- A lovely punch can be made with orange juice, Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur, sparkling wine and a bit of cranberry juice.
- Classic Cosmo: Vodka, cranberry juice, Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur and lime juice.
- An Orange Crush: fresh orange juice, vodka, Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur, lemon/lime soda. Top with mint sprig.
- Add a splash to a cup of hot coffee and top with whipped cream.
Our recipes are based on Monash University and FODMAP Friendly science.
- A recipe at Serious Eats recommends adding some whole cloves to the mixture. You can add 4 to 6 whole cloves to the liquid mixture at the end of its ripening period. Seal again, shake and let sit an additional day, then strain and proceed as directed.
- Sugar: Monash University and FODMAP Friendly have both lab tested white, granulated sugar. Monash states that a Green Light low FODMAP serving size of white sugar is 1/4 cup (50 g). FODMAP Friendly simply states that they have tested 1 tablespoon and that it is low FODMAP. Regular granulated white sugar is sucrose, which is a disaccharide made up of equal parts glucose and fructose. Sucrose is broken down and absorbed efficiently in the small intestine.
- Vodka: Both Monash University and FODMAP Friendly have lab tested vodka. Monash University reports that it is low FODMAP Green Light at a 30 ml serving size. FODMAP Friendly gives it a “Pass” at 1 shot or 30 ml.
- Whiskey: Monash University has lab tested whiskey and it is low FODMAP Green Light at a 30 ml serving size. FODMAP Friendly gives it a “Pass” at 30 ml or “1 shot”.
Please always refer to the Monash University & FODMAP Friendly smartphone apps for the most up-to-date lab tested information. As always, your tolerance is what counts; please eat accordingly. The ultimate goal of the low FODMAP diet is to eat as broadly as possible, without triggering symptoms, for the healthiest microbiome.
Low FODMAP Orange Liqueur
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.