Kathryn Adel is a Registered Dietitian, a Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and an ACE Health Coach. She completed degrees in both Kinesiology and Nutrition, as well as a Master’s degree in Sports Nutrition from Laval University in Canada.
She works extensively with athletes of all levels, helping them achieve optimal performance through personalized approaches. Kathryn is also trained to help endurance athletes who suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms during exercise. She is experienced with the Low FODMAP Diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and completed the Monash University Low FODMAP dietitian’s training.
Her extensive training and experience in Sports Nutrition along with her personal experience as an endurance athlete allows her to help athletes achieve peak performance. Outside of her work, Kathryn is an avid runner, surfer and traveler.
- Kathryn Adel, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and a Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) from Montreal, Canada and now based in Charleston, SC. She is a Monash University Low FODMAP Certified Dietitian and a certified Health Coach by ACE Fitness.
- Kathryn ran track and field and cross-country through high school and college and always had a strong interest for sports nutrition. She now focuses on longer distances and recently completed her first marathon. She also loves swimming, surfing, hiking and skiing.
- Kathryn first completed a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology and worked as a personal trainer while completing a second degree in Nutrition and a Master’s in Sports Nutrition, all from Laval University in Canada.
- Kathryn’s first nutrition position was at the MAA sporting club and medical clinic in Montreal where she worked as a Sports Dietitian and Clinical Dietitian. She also worked extensively with sports teams and athletes of all levels, helping them achieve optimal performance through personalized approaches. She was a volunteer Dietitian for the Cancer Research Society, providing nutrition advice to participants doing a sports challenge to raise money for cancer. She managed a weight loss group and led group presentations to various organizations on healthy eating and sports nutrition.
- Kathryn moved to Charleston, SC in 2016. She started working remotely with clients from Canada through a company called SOSCuisine and is still part of SOSCuisine’s nutrition team to this day. She provides nutrition counseling via video conference to clients in various areas including sports nutrition, gastrointestinal disorders (including IBS and the low FODMAP diet), weight management, diabetes and heart disease. She also writes articles and makes nutrition videos for the company’s blog.
- After accumulating more than 2000 hours in Sports Nutrition and passing a national examination, she was able to obtain her Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) certification. She also completed another certification by Monash University: Food as Medicine: Food, Exercise and the Gut, that aims to help healthcare professionals improve their knowledge of gut health and how it’s affected by food and exercise.
- Kathryn currently works at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) as an Outpatient Dietitian. She also recently started her own private practice on the side, FitWave Nutrition. She focuses primarily on sports nutrition and gastrointestinal health, which are her two main specialty areas. She is the Sports Dietitian for local running and triathlon clubs and still collaborates with a major running club in Montreal.
- Kathryn is a member of Dietitians of Canada and of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, including the Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutrition Practice Group.
- Kathryn currently provides nutrition counseling services for clients residing in the USA and Canada, in English and French, in person at her office located in Charleston, SC or via video conference or phone.
Description of Practice
FitWave Nutrition is a private nutrition practice recently founded by Kathryn and currently developing that specializes in sports nutrition and wellness nutrition. Kathryn provides personalized nutrition counseling in-person and virtually as well as seminars to groups, sports teams and corporations.
Individual Nutrition Counseling (in person and virtual visits) – you can reach Kathryn directly.
- Sports Nutrition
- Digestive Health/Low FODMAPs (including IBS, diverticulosis and IBD)
- Weight Management
- Metabolic testing
- Diabetes and Heart Disease
- Grocery Store tours
- Seminars for corporate clients, sport teams & healthcare professionals
For more information or to set up a free 15-minute nutrition consulting appointment.
Email: [email protected]
Don’t underestimate the importance of proper hydration. I always start my day with a big glass of water and carry a bottle of water everywhere I go. Dehydration can exacerbate digestive symptoms including constipation and gastrointestinal issues during exercise.
I love the Superhero Muffins recipe from Shalane Flanagan & Elyse Kopecky cookbook Run Fast Eat Slow. And even if it is not mentioned, this recipe is low FODMAP (as long as you eat one muffin)!