The Low FODMAP Diet Step by Step
by Dédé Wilson & Kate Scarlata RDN
Sound, up–to–date medical advice and all new and original delicious recipes for meals that will satisfy the whole family, whether they are following the diet or not, The Low FODMAP Diet Step by Step offers real-life, holistic solutions for those living with IBS.
Order The Low FODMAP Diet Step by Step Today! (US)
For UK visitors click here to buy the book.
For AU visitors click here to buy the book.
For CA visitors click here to buy the book
About the Book: If you have read my story, then you know that I had suffered with IBS for 25 years when I finally discovered the low FODMAP diet. It quite simply saved my life. I had an acute IBS attack that also involved my pancreas and I ended up in the hospital for 5 days in so much pain that I literally wanted to die. Morphine offered no relief and I couldn’t imagine how I could go on.
And then, as luck would have it, the GI doc on duty was a low FODMAP fan and introduced me to the diet. In less than 1 week I went from not even being able to sip water to eating – and eating well! Here I was, an educated person with access to health care and I had never heard of this diet that had completely turned my life around. I decided right then and there that I wanted to make it my mission to help the millions of others who might be suffering from IBS by showing them how the low FODMAP diet could not only provide symptom relief, but could help them to thrive!
I knew I wanted to work with a registered dietician so that both the science and medical aspects of the book could be presented with authority and so that I could concentrate on developing and testing recipes that would be delicious for everyone in the family, FODMAPer or not.
I reached out to Kate Scarlata RDN, LDN as I had become a fan of her FODMAP work online and suggested a co-authorship. We hit it off and whipped our book proposal into shape in record time.
The result is my first co-authored book: The Low FODMAP Diet Step by Step. Here are some highlights; Kate has written the first 3 chapters where you will find everything you need to understand and navigate the low FODMAP diet including descriptions of the diet, how to tell whether this diet is for you, charts of low and high FODMAP foods, meal plans and more:
- Chapter 1: Gut Issues? The Role of FODMAPs in Digestive Distress
- Chapter 2: The Well-Balanced 3-Part Low FODMAP Diet: Eliminate, Challenge, Integrate!
- Chapter 3: Putting the Low FODMAP Diet into Practice
The rest of the book was my purview beginning with:
- Chapter 4: How to Succeed in the FODMAP Kitchen: Making the Best Darned Tasting Low FODMAP Food Ever where I give you all the tips and tricks that set you up for success once you get to the over 125 recipes.
The following chapters are divided as follows:
- Chapter 5: Basics – where you will find everything from tomato sauce and salsa to pesto, salad dressings, stocks and broths and barbecue sauce.
- Chapter 6: Start the Day Right! Breakfast at Home & On the Go – this chapter contains all kinds of breakfast food from grain-based cereals, to smoothies, a breakfast sandwich, frittata, pancakes, waffles and more. Breakfast Cookie anyone?
- Chapter 7: answers the simple question, What’s For Lunch? Here is everything from classic tuna and egg salads, to Mason jar salads and my favorite No-Recipe Grain & Veggie Bowls among other recipes.
- Chapter 8: FODMAP Snacks & Treats for Parties & Everyday. You’ve gotta have snacks on hand that fit the low FODMAP diet so that you don’t “cheat” while out running around. This chapter has portables like my version of KIND bars, which I call Fruit & Nut Protein Kinder Bars, as well as low FODMAP Protein-Packed Trail Mix and fancier party fare like Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings. And when you see the picture for my Queso Dip…you’re gonna drool!
- Chapter 9: Salads & Sides – there are so many vegetables that we can enjoy in the low FODMAP diet and this chapter celebrates them all in recipes like Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing, Blue Cheese & Grapes, Asian Chicken Salad, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Rainbow Chopped Salad, Cheesy Grits and of course a kale offering – Kale Cabbage Coleslaw with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Chapter 10: Main Dishes for the Whole Family – I am well aware that it is the norm, not the exception, to have maybe one or two FODMAPers in the family whereas the rest of the family are free of IBS. My intent with this chapter is to show you all how you can eat deliciously, while those with low FODMAP needs are tended to without sacrificing taste. You’ll find Easy Oven “BBQ” Ribs, Lasagna the FODMAP Way, Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Lamb Kebabs, Baked Mac n’ Cheese, Turkey Skillet Dinner with Corn Bread Biscuits, Vietnamese Summer Rolls with Shrimp or Tofu, pizza, spaghetti and meatballs and more.
- Chapter 11: Hearty & Nourishing Soups – this chapter has hot as well as cold soups like Gazpacho. How about Clam Chowder or Tortilla Soup with Chicken & Lime? My Hearty Vegetable Soup packs all the veggies in one pot while Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps takes advantage of summer bounty.
- Chapter 12: One-Pot, One-Dish Meals – most of us lead very busy lives and one pot meals are very popular so I wanted to bring a bunch of convenient main dishes into the FODMAP world. Look her for Citrus Sage Turkey Breast, Cod with Roasted Potatoes, Garlic & Parsley, All-Beef Chili, Slow Roasted Shredded Pork and more.
- Chapter 13: Desserts & Baked Goods: Simple & Spectacular – many people want to know if they can still have desserts and baked goods while following the low FODMAP diet and the answer is a resounding yes! This chapter brings you Banana Bread, Blueberry Muffins, Corn Bread, Strawberry Shortcake, Blondies, Brownies and more…even ice cream and Hot Fudge Sauce.
The end of the book has reference notes from Kate’s chapters as well as a hefty Resource section, so that you can find all of the foods that you need to begin cooking the low FODMAP way. All of the recipes are exclusive to the book and it makes a great complement to the recipes and information that we present here at FODMAP Everyday. If you would like a personalized book plate to insert in your book, simply reach out to me through our Contact page. My aim with the book, as with our site, is to help as many of you as I can.