Monash University researchers developed the low FODMAP diet. We consider Monash to be a primary resource for FODMAP information and strongly suggest that you download their smartphone app (for iPhone and Android) as well as follow their social media posts and read articles on their site.
They are constantly adding new information to the app and and it is the best place to keep up to date with their FODMAP team, who are on the cutting edge of emerging FODMAP science.
Meet Monash University
Monash has a website that acts as a hub for a variety of FODMAP diet information. If you are a medical practitioner or IBS sufferer this is where you will find the answers to your questions about the diet and FODMAPs in general.
There are separate areas for:
- A link for downloading their smartphone app
- Enrolling in the Patient Course
- Enrolling in the Dietitian Course
- Information on Product & Recipe Certification
- A Monash shop
- And they have a dietitian directory
Monash University Low FODMAP App
A smartphone application (for both iPhone and Android) has been created by Monash University which provides accurate and original information about foods that trigger IBS reactions in order to help sufferers manage their symptoms. We believe this to be one of the most important tools for any Low FODMAP diet follower. It not only provides easy to navigate and understand food lists – it has guidance about the diet, recipes and more. We use our app many times a day, as do our RDs. You can find it here.
Monash App Guide – Print Version
Monash University Low FODMAP Booklet
If you don’t have a smartphone or you just prefer your information on paper you can order a booklet from Monash University that presents much of the smartphone app information in print form. They offer discounts for larger orders, which can be helpful for medical offices. Order Here.
About The Monash Patient Course
Did you know that there is a Monash developed online course geared towards teaching the average person following the low FODMAP diet – like you? We have done a complete review of the course here.
The Monash Patient Course has 5 modules and is written in simple language. You will learn:
- The importance of getting an accurate IBS diagnosis
- What FODMAPs are
- How to implement the 3 Steps of the FODMAP diet
- Understanding whether your IBS symptoms are sensitive to FODMAPs, or if it is something else
- What to do if your IBS symptoms do not improve on the low FODMAP diet
- Information about additional therapies to help manage IBS symptoms
The course is comprised of interactive elements that help you absorb the information. Videos, question-answer flip cards, sorting activities and interactive charts are all used. Once you sign up, you can complete the course at your leisure, but it must be completed within 12 months.
The course is $29.99 USD/ $46 AUD
If you have questions, email them to email@example.com.
About The Monash Dietitian Course
Monash has an online course geared towards dietitians and health professionals. The course focuses on how to safely and effectively implement a low FODMAP diet in clinical practice. If you are planning to, or already specialize in the dietary management of IBS, this course is of great value. Most of our RDs are Monash trained, as am I. We have a full exploration and description of the Monash Dietitian Course here.
An in-depth understanding and practical skills in the following areas:
- The pathophysiology of IBS, including causes, symptoms, diagnostic techniques, alarm features and the role of breath hydrogen testing
- The FODMAP diet concept
- FODMAP composition of foods
- Implementing the low FODMAP diet in clinical practice
- Troubleshooting strategies and considerations when patients are not responding to the low FODMAP diet
- Adjunct therapies, including hypnotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, stress management, probiotics and pharmacological therapies
- Other dietary approaches to IBS management, such as fiber modification, adding glucose to fructose, the low food chemical diet and the gluten-free diet
- Other applications of the low FODMAP diet, including in pediatric patients with IBS, breastfeeding mothers of infants with colic, women with endometriosis and individuals with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
The Monash Dietitian Course contains 10 modules and takes about 22 hours to complete. The course synthesizes the latest findings from the scientific literature to give you an in-depth theoretical and practical understanding of the pathophysiology of IBS and the appropriate prescription and implementation of a low FODMAP diet.
The course employs interactive elements such as written and video case studies, infographics, question-answer flip cards, sorting activities, reading exercises, multiple choice quizzes and a final exam.
Everyone who passes the final exam is issued a certificate of completion. Health professionals can use this certificate to claim 30 CPE units with their member association.
About Product & Recipe Certification
Monash University has programs to lab test and certify food products and supplements, and also has a recipe certification program. Companies such as Fody Foods have their products Monash certified, and ModifyHealth puts their meals offered for sale through the Monash recipe certification process.
Monash Product Certification
When a product is certified, you are giving the buying public assurance that your product is low FODMAP and that the claim is backed up with lab test findings. The certification involved a licensing agreement, which allows the use the official Monash University Low FODMAP Diet™ badge on the certified products, which helps the consumer and encourages purchase. Certified products are included in the Monash University FODMAP Diet App, which is downloaded in over 130 countries and counting.
Monash Recipe Certification
Certifying recipes can be helpful for a variety of reasons. Monash certified recipes can be used in a restaurant or cafe setting, giving the customers confidence in the food. It can be used to reach a specific audience with a book, magazine or website, or, to certify entire meals, as ModifyHealth has done.
The Monash Shop & Dietitian Directory
The Monash Shop is a one stop shop for finding their app, booklet and for printable patient information sheets. Their Directory lists dietitians around the world who have completed their training.