Non-Alcoholic Eggnog for Everyone
If you like a shot of whiskey in your eggnog, then check out our Spirited Eggnog. This Non-Alcoholic Eggnog is for the rest of us. And it is just as rich, creamy and tasty.
First, Make a Custard
Custard is a mixture of eggs, dairy and usually sugar, as included here. A custard is cooked to form the base for this Non-Alcoholic Eggnog, so you do not have to worry about raw eggs.
We use a lot of lactose-free sour cream and cream cheese around here but it took us a while longer to notice the lactose-free half-and-half in the dairy case. Not all of our supermarkets have it, so check around first and don’t assume. You don’t want any surprises when shopping!
OR check out our article on DIY Lactose-Free Dairy.
Moderation is Key
The combination of half-and-half, whole eggs and an extra yolk makes for a very rich concoction. Moderation is key, so stick to the serving sizes. This is always true when following the low FODMAP diet but perhaps never more so than during the holidays when we are consuming a lot of foods. Acquaint yourself with the concept of FODMAP Stacking to understand how to safely determine your FODMAP consumption. And of course, your individual tolerances should be known and considered.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
This rich and creamy lactose-free Non-Alcoholic Eggnog is a holiday classic that everyone will love.
- 2 cups (480 ml) lactose-free half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons (66 g) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat the half-and-half in a saucepan until warm; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolk, sugar and salt in a medium sized saucepan until smooth and lightened in color. Slowly whisk in the warm half and half to temper the eggs, so as not to scramble them.
- Whisk the custard mixture over low-medium heat - do not let it boil - until it registers 160°F/71°C on an instant read thermometer. It should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Whisk in vanilla. Refrigerate in airtight container until needed. Recipe may be made up to this point 1 day ahead.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg before serving.
If You Can Tolerate
Lactose: If you have passed the lactose Challenge, feel free to use conventional half-and-half.