Easy & Light Low FODMAP Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Pumpkin (canned as well as fresh) is low FODMAP in small servings. Chiffon pies are lightened with gelatin and make whatever filling you have at hand go a bit further.
Creating a Low FODMAP Pumpkin Chiffon Pie seemed like an obvious recipe for me to create, in an effort to bring you another pumpkin pie that’s just a little different from our version made with maple syrup.
You Can Never Have Enough Pumpkin Pie
I often make more than one pumpkin pie for my Thanksgiving or Christmas table and making sure that one of them is this Low FODMAP Pumpkin Chiffon Pie will provide variety, while still giving your guests what they want – more pumpkin pie!
You do need to pre-bake a 9-inch (23 cm) flaky pie crust first, so plan ahead. Our All-Butter Pie Crust is the perfect recipe for this.
You might also like our Low FODMAP Classic Pumpkin Pie, which takes advantage of lactose-free evaporated milk.
Low FODMAP Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Our Low FODMAP Pumpkin Chiffon Pie is just like the classic - only a bit lighter. Gently spiced, smooth and creamy.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes 1, 9-inch (23 cm) pie; 12 slices; serving size 1 slice
- 1, 9-inch (23 cm) pre-baked All-Butter Pie Crust, cooled
Pumpkin Chiffon Filling:
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1/4 ounce (7 g) plain gelatin, such as Knox (if you use Knox, it is one, 1/4-ounce envelope)
- 1 1/4 cups (305 g) canned pumpkin, such as Libby’s
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) lactose-free whole milk
- 2/3 cup (141 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) heavy cream; use lactose-free if available, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
Pour whiskey into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it as evenly as possible. Allow to sit and soften while you continue your prep.
Meanwhile whisk together the canned pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, yolks and all of the spices and salt in a medium saucepan until combined and heat over low-medium heat, whisking often, until a thermometer reads 160°F/71°C. Take care as the mixture is thick and splatters as it becomes hot. Cooking time will be less than 10 minutes. Whisk in the gelatin mixture until dissolved, then remove from heat. Scrape into a metal bowl, set over a larger bowl filled with ice water and whisk until room temperature, whisking often, about another 5 to 10 minutes.
Whip 3/4 cup (180 ml) of the heavy cream just until soft peaks form and fold into the cooled pumpkin mixture. Start incorporating it with a whisk, then finish off with a spatula. Pour into prepared pie shell and smooth the top. Chill for at least 4 hours until firm. Pie may be held at this point overnight in refrigerator.
Right before serving whip the remaining 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the cream with confectioners’ sugar just until soft peaks form. Serve wedges of pie with small dollops of whipped cream.
- Libby's canned pumpkin is reliably smooth, thick, dark orange in color and quite flavorful. Other brands of canned pumpkin will not give you the same taste or texture results.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!