Squid is Low FODMAP
Perhaps you only order calamari (squid) when you go out to a restaurant, which is a shame because it is actually easy to work with in the kitchen. This Calamari Salad is going to show you how easy and delicious squid can be.
Believe it or not, our Calamari Steaks are one of our most popular recipes! Yes, that surprised us but we figured it was time to bring you another calamari recipe. This Calamari Salad is meant to be served chilled and actually benefits from being made ahead, which makes it a great summer party dish.
It combines Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, lemon, scallions, olives, tomatoes, parsley and a little bit of celery for crunch. The salad is packed with texture! The calamari is chewy, the celery is crunchy and the tomatoes and olives are tender and the whole is packed with flavor.
We like this as a light lunch, as an appetizer or just placed on the buffet as a little extra something.
How Do You Buy Squid?
For this recipe you can buy frozen calamari or from the seafood case. You want a combination of tentacles and bodies, which you will be cutting into the expected rings. If frozen, it might be in a big block, which you want to defrost gently. Place in fridge overnight, then what I do is place the block in a large zip top bag and submerge that in cool water until the whole shebang is defrosted.
Recipe Sponsored By Fody Foods
This Calamari Salad is actually very easy to make and rivals what you find in upscale take-out cases and restaurants - and our version is low FODMAP!
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) cleaned squid
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) FODY Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon FODY Lemon & Herb Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (32 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup (48 g) chopped scallions, green parts only
- 1 1/2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 1 small stalk of celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, optional
- Rinse the calamari in cool water and pat dry. Slice the tentacles lengthwise (if broad or leave as is) and cut the bodies into thin rings as seen in image.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add squid and blanch for about 1 minute, then drain immediately. Run under cold water to halt cooking, then drain and pat dry again.
- In a large nonreactive bowl, whisk together the FODY Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, lemon juice, vinegar, FODY Lemon & Herb Seasoning, salt and pepper until well blended. Fold in the squid, parsley, tomatoes, scallions, olives and celery until combined. Fold in capers, if using. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes for flavors to meld. Calamari Salad is ready to serve or may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve lightly chilled.