Chicken Salad with Gruyere, Green Beans, Tomatoes & Basil – Dinner in a Bowl
This salad is like an homage to the end of summer. Tomatoes and basil are all about and I wanted to make a chicken salad for dinner on a particularly hot night. It had to be hearty enough to be a meal. I came across a version in my friend Betty Rosbottom’s book, American Favorites. Once you make this Chicken Salad with Gruyere, Green Beans, Tomatoes & Basil you will want to make it again and again.
It All Starts with Cooked Chicken
Betty first made this dish in the south of France while on holiday and she happened to pick up a cooked chicken, which inspired the dish. You could buy a low FODMAP rotisserie chicken, or you could poach some chicken, which I love to do for salads, because the meat stays so moist.
You can pick and choose, but I like a mustardy vinaigrette made with fruity olive oil for this salad. Try our Low FODMAP Red Wine Vinaigrette.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Chicken Salad with Gruyere, Green Beans, Tomatoes & Basil
This Chicken Salad with Gruyere, Green Beans, Tomatoes & Basil is hearty enough for dinner or for a substantial lunch. If you start with rotisserie chicken, or other cooked chicken, it will come together very quickly.
- 4 ounces (115 g) slender green beans, trimmed and cut crosswise in half or thirds
- 1 pound (455 g ) cooked chicken, skinless, cubed or shredded
- 2 ounces (55 g) Gruyere cheese, cut into 2-inch by 1/4-inch (5 cm by 6 mm) sticks
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- Soft lettuce, such as Boston or Bibb
- Low FODMAP salad dressing of choice
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and drop in the beans. Boil for a couple of minutes or just until crisp/tender. Drain and run under cold water to halt cooking. Pat very dry.
In a large mixing bowl toss together the beans, chicken, Gruyere, tomatoes and basil. Lightly dress with salad dressing of choice and serve on a bed of lettuce. You can also store the salad without the lettuce overnight in an airtight container in the fridge. I actually like it after it has been stored with dressing, but you could also store the dressing separately and combine right before eating.