Super Simple Homemade Low FODMAP Red Wine Vinaigrette
We almost didn’t provide a recipe for this Low FODMAP Red Wine Vinaigrette because it is so easy, but it does pay to know how to make a great homemade vinaigrette, and nothing is more classic than a red wine version.
It’s All About Balance
A good vinaigrette is all about the balance between the acidity of the vinegar, the flavor of the olive oil and in our case, the addition of Dijon mustard, which acts as an emulsifier, bringing everything together, and also adds depth and complexity as well as a thicker mouthfeel.
A great vinaigrette does all of the above yet goes a step further and that level of deliciousness comes down to the quality of your ingredients. A vinaigrette is very simple and with any recipe that has so few ingredients it is imperative that each and every component be top notch.
Buy an extra-virgin olive oil that you love all by itself. Same for the vinegar. and highly recommend it. Salt should be kosher and the pepper should be freshly ground.
Try this vinaigrette with our Chicken Salad with Gruyere, Green Beans, Tomatoes & Basil, but really it goes with most any salad you are making. For an alternative, try our Sherry Vinaigrette.
Low FODMAP Red Wine Vinaigrette
Our Low FODMAP Red Wine Vinaigrette takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and can enliven so many different salads.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 1 cup (240 ml); serving size 2 tablespoons
- Shake the oil, vinegar and mustard together in a glass covered jar. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired, but highly recommended. The vinaigrette is ready to use or may be refrigerated in a covered container for up to a week. Bring to room temperature before using. You can warm the jar in a bowl of warm water if you are in a rush. Shake well right before using.
Dédé's Quick Recipe Tips Video
- We like a sharp vinaigrette with a slightly higher ratio of vinegar; the classic ratio is 3 to 1 oil to vinegar. We encourage you to use this recipe as a baseline but you can play with the ratios to your taste.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!