Easy-to-Make Ham & Cheese Low FODMAP Quiche
Quiche is a classic and for good reason. Comprised of a flaky crust, a rich, eggy, custardy filling with the addition of cheese and often other ingredients, it makes a hearty breakfast, an elegant lunch or brunch dish or can even serve as a light dinner.
Our Low FODMAP Quiche includes ham and cheddar cheese with the addition of scallions.
Choose Your Mix-Ins
This quiche came about after I had developed our Low FODMAP Brown Sugar Glazed Ham and wanted ways to use our leftover ham. I happen to love sharp cheddar cheese with ham, so the combo came together quickly.
Plus, I like the look of orange colored cheese in this low FODMAP quiche. The inclusion of scallions adds another layer of flavor, in addition to welcomed color.
Let’s Talk About Dairy & Eggs
The 6 large eggs, the ¾ cup (180 ml) of lactose-free half-and-half and the 4-ounces (115 g) of cheese form the base recipe for our low FODMAP quiche.
- You don’t have to use the ham or the scallions. You can play around with other low FODMAP ingredients added to the basic custard.
- You can even use a different cheese, such as Swiss, Havarti or even Brie, or a blend.
- Just stick with the amounts in this recipe, which you can use as a low FODMAP quiche framework!
- Other vegetables can be added as well. We love low FODMAP amounts of blanched broccoli for instance, or spinach.
BTW if you cannot find lactose-free half-and-half in your markets, did you know that you can easily make your own? Check out our article, DIY Lactose-Free Dairy to see just how easy it is!
Ham & Cheese Low FODMAP Quiche
Everyone needs a quiche in their repertoire and now that you are eating low FODMAP, it must be compliant to the diet as well. This low FODMAP quiche recipe is the answer!
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes 1, 9-inch (23 cm) quiche; 8 wedges; 1 wedge per serving
- Par-baked single All-Butter Pie Crust in a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) lactose-free half-and-half
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (4-ounces/115 g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5- ounces (140 g) low FODMAP cooked ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, green parts only
Position rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
Whisk the lactose-free half-and-half and eggs together in a mixing bowl until well blended. Whisk in cheese, salt, and a generous amount of pepper, then whisk in ham and scallions. Pour into par-baked crust.
Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until quiche is just set in the center. If the quiche begins to brown too quickly, simply cover loosely with foil. Cool on rack for at least 10 minutes before serving. We like our low FODMAP quiche best served warm, perhaps with a nice green salad with a sharp vinaigrette as shown in the pictures.
If You Can Tolerate
- Lactose: If you have passed your Lactose Challenge, feel free to use conventional half-and-half.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.