Making Low FODMAP Peppermint Meringues
These light, crunchy Low FODMAP Peppermint Meringues cookies are flavored with peppermint extract and striped with red food coloring to create a vibrant treat.
You can pipe them as kisses, seen above, or as hearts, as seen below, which are perfect for Valentine’s Day. The technique is similar and will make sense as you read the recipe’s steps.
You don’t have to use the food coloring to make the stripes, but it is a little extra step that makes these a tad fancier than plain meringue cookies.
Fat is The Enemy – to Meringues!
The only trick to making super-crisp meringues is to make sure that your bowl, beaters, measuring equipment and anything that comes in contact with the egg whites is scrupulously clean. ANY trace of grease or fat will prevent them from beating into a thick, glossy meringue.
I often wipe out my bowl with a paper towel with a little vinegar, just to be sure.
The cookies below have cacao nibs sprinkled on top (lower left) and sugar decorations (upper right).
These cookies are versatile!
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Low FODMAP Peppermint Meringues
These Low FODMAP Peppermint Meringues are easier to make than you might think - store in an airtight container to keep them crisp.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 40 to 60 meringues (depending on size); serving size 2 meringues
Position racks in upper and lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 200°F/95°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until firm peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes longer. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and peppermint extract.
- Dot food color over surface of meringue but do not stir or agitate in any way. If using liquid, simply squeeze droplets. If using gel, use a toothpick to place dots here and there.
Use a large soupspoon to carefully place meringue into a pastry bag by fitted with the ½-inch (12 mm) tip.
For Kiss Shapes: Pipe 1½- to 2-inch (4 cm to 5 cm) “kisses” onto prepared sheets, spacing 2-inches (5 cm) apart. The stripes will make themselves! It is a random process, but it always works out well if you allow the white meringue and the red dots of color to remain distinct before spooning into the pastry bag.
For Heart Shapes: Pipe two overlapping teardrop shapes to create a "heart" shape. This takes some practice, but you can do it! And it is fine if each one is different.
For Cacao Nib Meringues: Simply use a teaspoon to scoop out small cookies directly onto sheet pans. Sprinkle a few c cacao nibs on top.
For Decorated Meringues: Any of the meringues can be sprinkled with sugar decorations before baking.
- Bake meringues for about 2 to 2½ hours or until completely dry. Cool pans on racks completely before trying to remove the cookies. They continue to crisp as they cool. Store cookies in single layers in airtight containers up to 2 days.
- In lieu of a tip, you can use a standard pastry bag coupler with a plain round opening. Simply place inside pastry bag with no tip and pipe away.
- It is very easy to vary these by color and flavor. Try orange color and orange extract; yellow color/lemon extract; pink color/rose extract; green color/lime extract; purple color/lavender extract, etc.