Easy-to-Make Low FODMAP Irish Whiskey Chocolate Mousse
This Low FODMAP Irish Whisky Chocolate Mousse is a boozy chocolate mousse. It is for adults. It combines dark chocolate with whiskey and cream. It is decadent.
And it is low FODMAP in small portions – and believe me, it is so rich, you will only need a few bites.
Whiskey is Low FODMAP
Whiskey is low FODMAP in portions of 30 ml. It flavors this Low FODMAP Irish Whisky Chocolate Mousse and you will taste it – so reserve this recipe for whiskey lovers.
Dark Chocolate is Low FODMAP
Dark chocolate is low FODMAP in 30 g portions. Each serving of this mousse contains 21.25 g. We recommend that you use a dark chocolate that does not include dairy, as there is plenty of dairy in this dish with the heavy cream.
Read more in All About Dark Chocolate.
Heavy Cream is Low FODMAP – Or You Can Use Lactose-Free
Heavy cream is low FODMAP in ½ cup (60 g) portions in a whipped status. We just use a small dollop on top of the mousse, as a delectable creamy, smooth, rich topping.
Buy lactose-free heavy cream, if you can. Or, make your own following our simple DIY directions. Check out our article DIY Lactose-Free Dairy.
This chocolate mousse recipe uses raw eggs, which many traditional chocolate mousse recipes do.
You have two choices here. You can use fresh, raw eggs, which is recommended for those with healthy immune systems and not recommended for the very young, the elderly or those who are pregnant.
If you are concerned, you can buy pasteurized eggs and then you don’t have to worry.
Low FODMAP Irish Whiskey Chocolate Mousse
Low FODMAP Irish Whiskey Chocolate Mousse is rich and decadent - best reserved for adults!
- 9 ounces (255 g) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, preferably about 60 % cacao mass, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons whiskey
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream; use lactose-free if possible
- Combine chocolate, brewed coffee and whiskey in a small saucepan and heat over very low heat, whisking gently, until the chocolate is about three-quarters of the way melted. Remove from heat and allow residual heat to melt chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool until just warm.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl. Gently whisk in the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Beat the egg whites until peaks form with electric mixer. Fold about a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it up, then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Divide chocolate mousse into 12 small serving dishes and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- Right before serving, whip the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and top each chocolate mousse with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve to oohs and aahs.
- If you are concerned about egg safety, buy and use pasteurized eggs for this recipe.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!