Versatile Low FODMAP Sweet & Spicy Dry Rub
There are so many applications for a Sweet & Spicy Dry Rub – rub it into fish, poultry or pork – for starters. And there are just as many versions. Certainly the common denominator is that there is a sweet component – in this case brown sugar – and then savory spices.
Our version combines brown sugar with cumin with both sweet and smoked paprika. The smoked paprika used to be a specialty product – and you might have to order it – but we see it more and more now in well-stocked supermarkets.
The chipotle chile can be used to taste. The more you use, the spicier this Sweet & Spicy Dry Rub will be. You can also use cayenne.
Note that spicy foods can trigger IBS for some people – but that is not a FODMAP issue. The capsaicin in hot peppers can be a gut irritant.
See this in action with salmon below and check out our recipe for Pineapple Salsa, which goes as perfectly with fish as it does with poultry and pork.
And speaking of pork, here is a pork chop below with the dry rub.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Low FODMAP Sweet & Spicy Dry Rub
Our version of Low FODMAP Sweet & Spicy Dry Rub combines cumin with both sweet and smoked paprika as well as brown sugar and other spices. Use with any protein!
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: This makes about 1/2 cup (about 40 g); serving size is hard to gauge as you will be rubbing it into various serving sizes of protein; start with 2 teaspoons of rub to assess tolerance.
- Combine all the dry rub ingredients in a mixing bowl, use your fingers to break up any lumps of brown sugar, and mix everything together.
- When applying to your fish, meat or poultry I like to use my hands to really rub it in.
- Use right away or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.