Salsa in The Pantry – Never Go Hungry
When I was first introduced to the low FODMAP diet, the first thing I focused on was the fact that I was going to have to banish garlic and onion during the Elimination phase due to their high FODMAP fructan content.
What was going to happen to my love of salsa? And chicken with 40 garlic cloves? The chicken had to go, but read on for good salsa news.
Light at the End of the Tunnel
The idea of no onions and garlic seemed to be devastating news at first – and then when I found out that beans were on the no-list as well? Oh boy. The reality of being able to continue to eat the Mexican and Tex-Mex foods I had on weekly rotation started fading away.
Probably the number one fructan-rich item I was going to miss the most was jarred salsa.
Pretty much all of them contain onions and many have garlic, too. I always had a jar in the fridge and it would get put to use alongside corn chips and quesadillas, of course, but also in many other ways.
FODY to The Rescue
When I discovered that FODY Foods had a Monash Certified low FODMAP salsa, I experienced such a sense of relief. All of a sudden, I started to think about all the low FODMAP meals and snacks that their salsa would enhance. And now they have two kinds, mild and a medium heat level!
I don’t remember which of my kids came up with this, but when they were little they started dipping their grilled cheese sandwiches in salsa. I’ve got to tell you – it was a stroke of genius.
The juicy acidity of tomato is a perfect foil for the richness of grilled cheese, and we would sometimes put sliced tomato inside the sandwich, but this way with salsa, there was tomato and spices and tons of flavor – right from a jar – that worked so well with the melted cheese and buttery, crispy bread.
It got me thinking; what other ways had we used salsa in the past? And all of a sudden I realized that there were many – and we could still enjoy them while eating low FODMAP! With no further ado:
Our Top 10 Ways to Use Salsa
- As a dip for grilled cheese.
- Mixed with lactose-free cottage cheese or goat cheese for a cracker or sandwich spread.
- Combine with lactose-free cream cheese, shredded cheddar and chopped scallion greens for a dip.
- Add some to your meatloaf mixture – and spread it on top before baking, too.
- Fold into soft scrambled eggs or drizzle some into the middle of an omelet along with shredded cheese before folding over.
- Spread rice cake with avocado and top with salsa.
- Whisk together with mayonnaise as a dip for French fries.
- Use as a base for marinade for meat or chicken – even fish and shrimp. Add lime juice, some cumin, chopped cilantro and whatever else you like to taste.
- Use as dipping sauce for chilled shrimp cocktail.
- Combine with shredded cooked chicken, some shredded cheese and lactose-free sour cream and create a double-stuffed baked potato.
And a bonus –
- Anytime a recipe calls for ketchup – try it with salsa, as we do with our French fries.
If you haven’t tried FODY Original Mild or Medium Salsa, it’s high time! It is non-GMO, gluten-free and contains diced tomatoes, water, crushed tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, cider vinegar, sea salt, lime juice concentrate, cumin and natural flavors. If you have been missing your salsa, there is no need for you to go without anymore.
What is your favorite way to eat salsa?
Post Sponsored By
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!