Caviar Dip – Easy as 1, 2, 3
Yes, we are called FODMAP Everyday® and we know the need for Caviar Dip is not an everyday occurrence, but for New Year’s Eve or Day? Why not? We want to help prepare you for every single day of the year.
This is a super easy dip (stir the ingredients together and you are done!) yet elegant enough to serve alongside champagne or other sparkling wine – which are low FODMAP by the way.
As always, when using lactose-free cream cheese you have to follow the steps carefully. It acts differently from regular cream cheese and can quickly liquefy if agitated too much. Just follow the directions and you will be rewarded with a delicious, sophisticated dip.
Crackers, Chips & Cucumbers!
Once the dip is made you can pick and choose your “dippers”. Rice crackers work well but I also like potato chips and slices of cucumber! A bit unusual, perhaps, but really tasty. Maybe set out an array of choices, as we did.
Buy the Best
Now, we are not suggesting that you buy the most expensive caviar that you can find because if that were the case we wouldn’t be folding it into sour cream! That said, the salmon roe for this recipe should be good quality.
We recommend against the shelf stable type and prefer the kind you will find in the refrigerator case. The fish eggs should be large and firm and glistening. The amount in each jar can vary a bit from brand to brand so don’t worry if your purchase is a little more or less (as seen in ingredient list below).
If you are planning a party, check out our article, Top 8 Tips for Hosting a Party! Eating low FODMAP does not mean you have to feel deprived! We are here to help you thrive!
Easy and elegant, our low FODMAP Caviar Dip can be made in less than 10 minutes. Perfect for a fancy soirée.
Low FODMAP Servings Size Info: Makes about 1 1/4 cups (300 ml); serving size 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces (225 g) lactose-free cream cheese, such as Green Valley Organics
- 1/2 cup (120 g) lactose-free sour cream, such as Green Valley Organics
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, do not substitute dried, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions, green part only or chives
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 ounces (about 100 grams) salmon roe, divided
- Kosher salt
- Recommended dippers such as rice crackers, potato chips or slices of hothouse cucumbers
Place the lactose-free cream cheese in a medium sized bowl (big enough to mix all the ingredients) and very gently press it down in a few places with a silicone spatula to soften. Do not stir or it will liquefy and you need it to retain as much body as possible.
In a separate bowl, stir together the lactose-free sour cream, 2 tablespoons of minced dill, scallion or chives and lemon juice. Season to taste with pepper. You might think it needs salt but you will be adding the briny roe, so wait on any further seasoning. Fold in about three-quarters of the roe, by eye. Taste again at this point and add salt if desired.
Use a silicone spatula to scrape the sour cream mixture on top of the cream cheese. Very gently fold everything together. Dip can be made up to 6 hours ahead at this point, in which case cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When ready to serve, scrape dip into a serving bowl and garnish with remaining salmon roe and sprigs of dill. Offer dip with choice of dippers. If you are going to set out a serving implement, do not use metal. Caviar is classically served with tiny mother of pearl spoons or spreaders, but glass or even wood or bamboo would work. Metal can react with the delicate eggs and create an off flavor. Enjoy!
- While we love this during the Christmas season or for New Year's but don't overlook it for a special birthday, Valentine's Day or other occasion. It is so easy and so elegant.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!