This post may include affiliate links. Please see our complete disclosure here.
If you think hot cocoa comes in individual packets with hard little nuggets that are supposed to be mini marshmallows – then this recipe will be a revelation. When we want decadence, we make our Parisian-style Hot Chocolate. When the kids come in from sledding or skiing and want something sweet and hot, we turn to this recipe for hot cocoa. It is rich, but not too rich, just sweet enough, quick to make and economical.
Hot Cocoa is Made with Cocoa Powder!
No surprise, right? Hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder. But we actually see recipes for hot cocoa and hot chocolate all the time that do not contain their namesake. Here at FODMAP Everyday® we keep our hot chocolate and hot cocoa recipes pure. One is not better than the other – they are just different and should be celebrated for their individuality. Want something a little lighter and more kid-friendly? Make this Hot Cocoa. Want something to satisfy a very adult bittersweet chocolate craving? Make our Hot Chocolate.
So, for this recipe you need a good quality natural cocoa. Read All About Cocoa for more cocoa-related information. With a little sugar and milk, you will be on your way to the best-ever hot cocoa that could never be matched by the pre-packaged stuff – and ours takes only 5 minutes to make!
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Make low FODMAP Hot Cocoa with lactose-free milk and high quality cocoa powder.
- 2 tablespoons sifted natural cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) lactose-free whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar and a little it of milk in a saucepan until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk. Bring just to a simmer over low-medium heat, whisking occasionally until piping hot. Whisk in vanilla, divide into cups and serve.
- You could double the cocoa and sugar and it would still be low FODMAP, but we like this hot cocoa a little lighter as it is. If you want something more intense, try our Hot Chocolate.
- Make a minty version substituting peppermint extract for the vanilla.
- You can make this with unsweetened almond milk.
If You Can Tolerate
- Lactose: If you have passed the lactose challenge, feel free to use regular milk.