Use Those Ingredients!
I had shopped for the ingredients to prepare our Citrus & Herb Oil Poached Salmon and when I was done I had leftover lemons, oranges and fresh dill, parsley and tarragon. There was no way I was letting these vibrant fresh ingredients go to waste! This Citrus Herb Mojo was born.
What is a Mojo?
A mojo is a sauce, typically used prior to cooking as a marinade. It very often is comprised of oil and some sort of citrus. You will often find chiles included, too, which I didn’t use here, but the fresh, bright lemon, orange and fresh herbs in our Citrus Herb Mojo makes for a vibrant tasting and looking sauce that we love on fish and chicken, in particular. We’ve even used it on tofu.
Before, After or Both!
As mentioned, you can use this Citrus Herb Mojo as a marinade before cooking, whether you are oven roasting, grilling or sautéing, and then use some to slather on your protein right before serving as well. Get creative.
One of My Favorite Tools
Check out the simple wooden reamer in the images. This is my go-to tool for extracting juice from lemons, orange and limes. It is inexpensive, stores easily and works better than any other on the market. I am not fond of the type that squeeze down on the rind, sandwiching the lemon halves between two hinged levers. The oils in the skin are extracted and the resulting juice will be bitter.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Citrus Herb Mojo
This Citrus Herb Mojo is packed with flavor and couldn't be simpler- but you do need a blender. Make sure to use super fresh citrus and herbs.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 1 1/2 cups (360 ml); serving size 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil or Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil
- 3/4 cup (25 g) roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (15 g) roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup (15 g) roughly chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup (30 g) roughly chopped scallions, green parts only
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange or blood orange
- Pour vinegar and oil into carafe of blender, then add herbs, scallion greens and salt. Juice the lemon and orange right into the carafe using a wooden reamer or similar tool. Process until thoroughly combined and smooth. Mojo can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. It will last longer but will loose its fresh, bright flavor.
- Use to marinate chicken, fish, tofu or even pork before cooking. You can also use it after cooking as a finishing sauce.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
This post may include affiliate links. Please see our complete disclosure here.