We have a Whole Foods near us that we frequent and in particular we love the bulk department. We will often buy raisins, nuts, grains and flours of all sorts and even bulk maple syrup from this section of the store.
My husband fell in love with a very gingery granola and I decided I wanted to create a low FODMAP version that we could make at home.
This Gingersnap Granola is the result.
Double The Ginger
Fresh ginger as well as dried ground ginger makes this extra snappy. The coriander and cinnamon add to the depth of flavor as well.
The quinoa adds a light texture and protein.
Do make sure to use old-fashioned oats and not quick or instant oats. Their texture is a bit powdery and will not provide the hearty texture we are looking for.
We love this granola used within the Strawberry Yogurt Granola Pops recipe. Here’s a preview below!
This Gingersnap Granola is super snappy with fresh ginger and dried ginger for an incomparable flavor that goes so well with the sliced almonds, maple syrup and brown sugar.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 6 cups (720 g); serving size ¼ cup (30 g)
- 3 cups (297 g) old-fashioned rolled oats; use gluten-free if following a gluten-free diet
- 1 cup (110 g) quinoa flakes
- 2/3 cup (165 ml) neutral flavored vegetable oil, such as safflower, canola, or rice bran
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (71 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh peeled gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon dried ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (43 g) sliced almonds, natural or blanched
Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C). Have a rimmed half-sheet pan ready to use.
Combine oats, quinoa flakes, oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, gingerroot, ginger, coriander, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl, folding together well until evenly mixed. Fold in sliced almonds. Spread granola in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake granola for about 15 minutes, stir it around to encourage even baking and continue to bake for about 12 to 15 minutes more or until light golden brown.
Cool pan on rack. Store granola at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 month. You can also freeze for up to 3 months. We love it for breakfast with low FODMAP lactose-free milk or dairy-free milk, tossed onto yogurt or even eaten out of hand for a snack.
- Makes sure your dried ginger is fresh for maximum ginger flavor. Dried herbs and spices can lose their potency fairly quickly. If yours is over 6 months old, you might want to consider buying a new batch. Buy just what you need in bulk form, if you can.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.