Arnold Palmer is a Golfer – And a Drink!
If you are an American of a certain age (50s through 70s) you grew up hearing the name Arnold Palmer as he was a legendary golfer. While he was known for his prowess on the golf course (he won 62 PGA Tour titles alone), he is equally known (some say more so) for the invention of his namesake drink, the Arnold Palmer, from which our Strawberry Arnold Palmer is based upon.
What is An Arnold Palmer?
The Arnold Palmer is a combo of lemonade and iced black tea and it is incredibly refreshing. I describe the history of the drink in detail in our recipe for Arnold Palmer Ice Pops. The drink is also sometimes called a Half & Half, as the ratio is half of each beverage, but whatever you call it, the sweet and tangy flavors are incredibly thirst quenching.
Strong brewed black tea is low FODMAP (in 180 ml amounts) and lemonade, a combination of lemon juice and pure cane sugar is as well. And strawberries, well, they have no detectable FODMAPs! So as I was working on our Strawberry Lemonade I thought, why not combine the strawberry lemon base with brewed iced back tea! That’s what this recipe is – our Strawberry Arnold Palmer.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Strawberry Arnold Palmer
A Strawberry Arnold Palmer is a combo of brewed black tea, lemonade and strawberry purée and it is one of the most refreshing low FODMAP drinks that we know of!
- 1/2 pound (225 g) strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice, (from about 6 large lemons), divided
- 1 cup (198 g) sugar (see Tips)
- 3 to 6 cups 720 ml to 1.4 L strong brewed black tea, (regular or decaffeinated), chilled
- Place strawberries in carafe of blender along with 1/4 cup (60 ml) of lemon juice and blend on high until smooth. Press through a wire-meshed strainer to remove seeds; discard the seedy pulp.
- Place the resulting strawberry purée, remaining lemon juice and sugar in a bowl and whisk together well to dissolve sugar. This is your base and it will equal about 3 cups (720 ml).
- Now add your chilled brewed black tea and transfer to a large pitcher, adding ice as desired. Start with a 1:1 ratio of strawberry lemon base and tea and adjust to your taste from there.
- Or, you can make it by the glass, again starting by combining equal amounts of purée and tea or to taste.
- Your Strawberry Arnold Palmer is ready to serve or can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. It will last longer but lose a little bit of its freshness. Add ice right before serving - with a fancy straw or swizzle stick, if you like.