It’s Birthday Time! A Happy Birthday Cookie for Everyone!
Today is my birthday. For real! And I have so much to be thankful for. My dear husband, who is my bestest friend. My wonderful kids – who are also great friends! My partner Robin – friend, again, and co-conspirator.
And of course I am grateful for my health. I would not have been able to say this if I hadn’t discovered the low FODMAP diet.
Three years ago my IBS issues came to a crashing head and I had no idea how I was going to go forward. And then, as luck would have it, the GI doc on rounds at the hospital introduced me to the world of FODMAPs.
And so here we are! Robin and I are dedicated to HELPING ALL OF YOU THRIVE on the LOW FODMAP DIET! And that means every single day, which is why we call ourselves FODMAP Everyday®! Birthdays included!
This is our gluten-free, low FODMAP Happy Birthday Cookie! Sometimes a cake won’t do. My husband, Damon, is a cookie fanatic! I actually developed this cookie for him on his special day.
It is perfect for bringing to the school or office – it transports so easily.
It is a giant chocolate chip cookie, baked in a springform pan so that it unmolds easily and stays nice and round. The decoration is simply a little melted chocolate and rainbow sprinkles.
Or jimmies as us New Englanders call them. If you can make cookies you can make our Happy Birthday Cookie!
Happy Birthday Cookie
Our low FODMAP, gluten-free Happy Birthday Cookie is a party in a pan! Make this giant chocolate chip cookie for your BFF - or yourself! There's plenty to share.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks; 170 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cups (284 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (290 g) low FODMAP gluten-free all-purpose flour, such as Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (213 g) miniature chocolate morsels, divided
- 1/4 cup (40 g) plus 1 tablespoon rainbow jimmies/sprinkles, divided
- Position rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°. Coat the inside of a 10 inch (25 cm) springform pan with nonstick spray; line the bottom with parchment paper and spray parchment, too.
- Whisk melted butter with sugars in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in egg and yolk until smooth and well combined, then whisk in vanilla. Fold in flour, baking soda and salt until a few floury streaks remain, then fold in 1 cup (170 g) of the mini chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of the sprinkles. Spread batter into prepared pan, leveling the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until Happy Birthday Cookie is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center just tests clean. Cool pan completely on rack. Unmold cookie from pan and use a broad sturdy spatula to pry it from the parchment paper and place on a serving platter.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup (43 g) of chocolate chips in microwave or over simmering water. Spread melted chocolate around edge of cooled cookie and immediately sprinkle the rainbow jimmies on top so that they adhere, gently pressing into place.
- TA DA! Light the candles and sing Happy Birthday!
- If you can make cookies, you can make this gigantic, singular cookie! The only trick is in the unmolding. Just follow the directions, line the pan with parchment, and take your time. You will be rewarded with a gorgeous Happy Birthday Cookie.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!