Eat a Crunchy Rainbow
Hankering for fresh veggies mid-winter? Let me tell you that as I was developing this recipe for Rainbow Winter Slaw we were in the midst of a cold snap that had negative Fahrenheit temperatures on the thermometer with minus 30°F/-1°C and colder with the wind-chill factor.
A Little Sun in a Bowl
Making this colorful salad was like a burst if sunshine brought inside and piled into a bowl. It is crunchy and super colorful. Talk about eating the rainbow! We’ve got pale green cabbage and dark green kale. Purple/red cabbage, shreds of bright orange carrots and glistening ruby colored pomegranate seeds, sprinkled about like little jewels, bursting with juice and flavor.
The dressing is made creamy with yogurt and has a bit if tang from the vinegar and a dab of mustard and comes together in a flash. Just shake it up in a jar or whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. There is just enough dressing to lightly coat the salad. You could double the dressing, use what you like and save more for later if you like. Store it in the refrigerator and shake or whisk again before using.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Rainbow Winter Slaw
This slaw takes advantage of vegetables that are available and delicious even during the winter months.
- 8 ounces (225 g) green cabbage, cored, outer leaves removed and finely shredded
- 4 ounces (115 g) red cabbage, cored, outer leaves removed and finely shredded
- 3 ounces (85 g) Lacinato kale, about 6 large leaves, large ribs removed and finely shredded
- 3 medium carrots, scrubbed or peeled, tops discarded, shredded
- 1/2 cup (87 g) pomegranate seeds (arils)
- For the Dressing: Shake all the ingredients together in a covered jar, or whisk well together in a bowl.
- For the Slaw: Toss together the green cabbage, red cabbage, kale and carrots in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with dressing, tossing as you go, using only enough to just moisten the slaw. Salad is ready to serve or may be refrigerated covered in an airtight container for up to 6 hours. Toss in pomegranate seeds right before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.