You CAN Have Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are low FODMAP in small portions of 75 g or about 1/2 cup – and yet, I was determined to figure out how to create a recipe for mashed sweet potatoes, where you could have a nice portion.
I bring you our super smooth and satisfying Low FODMAP Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Candied Spiced Pecans!
How Did We Do It?
There is a secret. That I am going to tell you now. And once I tell you, you are gonna think, OF COURSE! The secret is…mashed potatoes! As in regular starchy potatoes…
By using these potatoes, which have no detectable FODMAPs, as the bulk of the dish, and then adding just enough sweet potatoes so that the dish LOOKS like mashed sweet potatoes and TASTES like sweet potatoes – but is actually a fair amount of regular potatoes – we get to have the experience of Mashed Sweet Potatoes, but without the high FODMAP content.
Candied Nuts – Optional
All nuts can be high FODMAP in large portions, however, we can enjoy many (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pine nuts to name a few) in appropriate portions.
Low FODMAP Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Candied Spiced Pecans
You CAN have mashed sweet potatoes - this recipe for Low FODMAP Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Candied Spiced Pecans shows you how to incorporate them safely into your diet.
- 2 pounds (910 g) starchy Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound (455 ) orange fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup (60 ml to 120 ml) lactose-free whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, or white pepper, if you like
- 1/2 cup (50 g) Candied Spiced Pecans, ready to use, chopped, optional
Place the chunks of potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water, making sure they are covered with water by at least 1-inch (2.5 cm). Bring to a boil over high heat; turn heat down and simmer, partially covered until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
Drain well in a colander then return all of the potatoes to pot. Place over low heat and stir them around, drying them out a bit; this will make them nice and fluffy. Remove from heat.
Add about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the milk and all of the butter and begin to mash. I usually start with a hand-held potato masher and then switch to a large, sturdy balloon whisk. Taste and season with salt and pepper and add remaining milk if necessary to make satiny, smooth, creamy yet fluffy mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with Candied Spiced Pecans, if desired. Serve immediately.
Dédé's Quick Recipe Tips Video
- Us orange-fleshed sweet potatoes for best results in this recipe. There are white-fleshed and even purple, but for the classic orange look, use the orange-fleshed varieties.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!