Easy-to-Make Mulled Wine
Wine purists might scoff, but there is something comforting about a slightly sweet, fruity, spicy warm red wine, which is what this Low FODMAP Mulled Wine is.
This is a great party beverage for the colder months. If you set it out in a punch bowl, just make sure the kids know that this is for adults only.
Start with a somewhat dry but fruit red wine for best results, such as a Merlot or Zinfandel.
Wine, Fruit – and Sugar
Mulled wine always has a little sweetener. I like brown sugar in this recipe as its complex flavor adds to the finished result, along with the fruit. It’s one of those situations where the finished item is more than a sum of its parts.
Pay attention to the parts, ahem, the ingredients.
For other party beverages – some spirited, some non-alcoholic – check out our:
- Fruited Lemonade Rosé Punch
- Pineapple Strawberry Prosecco
- Passion for Coconut
- Cranberry Cinnamon Swizzle
- Ginger Pomegranate Pear Sparkler
- Iced Mocha Vodka Frappuccino
Low FODMAP Mulled Wine
Low FODMAP Mulled Wine is easy, elegant, fruity and delicious - and great for a cold weather party.
- 1, 750 ml bottle dry and fruity red wine, such as Merlot or Zinfandel
- 1/2 cup (107 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 m) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 orange or 2 tangerines, sliced thickly
- 1 lemon, sliced thickly
- 20 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- Strips of orange zest optional
Whisk together the wine, brown sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Stir in the orange, lemon, cloves, cinnamon sticks and allspice. Heat over low-medium heat just to under a boil. Turn heat off, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour. Strain and reheat wine until it is hot but not boiling. Serve immediately, garnishing with orange zest, if desired.
- Use a wine that you enjoy drinking as is, for best results.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!