Sautéed Baby Heirloom Tomatoes
In late spring and early summer, the sweetest tomatoes available are usually the smaller varieties like cherry, grape and baby heirlooms. We LOVE super-simple Sautéed Baby Heirloom Tomatoes.
This recipe works beautifully with any small tomato and actually intensifies their flavor as well as bringing out the natural sugars. Easy to prepare and ready in just a few minutes, these tomatoes are great with grilled steak, chicken or fish.
You could also serve them with some shaved Parmesan, crumbled feta or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Dédé’s Comments: These days it is easier and easier to find multi-colored grape and cherry-sized tomatoes at the supermarket. The variety of colors adds interest to the plate and are often no more expensive.
Sautéed Baby Heirloom Tomatoes
Sautéed Baby Heirloom Tomatoes can be ready in less than 15 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil or purchased equivalent, divided
- 2 dry pints (600 g) baby heirloom, cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus extra
- 6 leaves fresh basil, rolled together and then julienned into thin ⅛ –inch (3 mm) strips
In a 12-inch (30.5 cm) nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until just smoking. Add tomatoes and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Sauté, shaking pan frequently until tomatoes soften and skins just begin to wrinkle, about 2 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the basil and reserved 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Taste one of the tomatoes for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- We know you might overlook this recipe because it seems simplistic, but trust me, with perfectly ripe tomatoes this dish is a thing if beauty and celebrates the harvest!
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!