Classic Low FODMAP Sourdough Stuffing
Sometimes simple is best. This Simple Sourdough Stuffing combines low FODMAP bread with celery, leeks and scallions (green parts only, of course), fresh parsley and all of the traditional herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme.
We like to cook it outside the bird to control the moisture/crunchy ratio (we are assuming Thanksgiving here, but it goes just as well with a weeknight chicken). Also, this way you can make the stuffing vegetarian, as we did here with FODY Vegetable Soup Base, to satisfy any lacto-ovo vegetarians at the table.
Sourdough Bread is Your Low FODMAP Friend
Sourdough bread made with wheat flour is low enough in FODMAPs to be considered suitable even for the Elimination phase IF it has been made with a slow rise (at least 24 hours) and a true sourdough starter.
There are so many places to get good bread these days. Ask the local baker questions! Note that this does not make the recipe gluten-free.
This Recipe is Sponsored by FODY Foods.
If you want to be prepared to make dinner quickly and easily – be prepared! Check out our article on 12 Essential Pantry Items, 10 Essential Low FODMAP Baking Items and 8 Essential Fridge & Freezer Items.
Simple Sourdough Stuffing
Our Simple Sourdough Stuffing is low FODMAP and works well as a vegetarian side dish as well.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 10 cups (2.4 L); serving size ½ cup (120 ml)
- 1 pound (455 g) loaf low FODMAP artisanal sourdough bread, torn into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces, to equal about 10 cups (2.4 L)
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon FODY Vegetable Soup Base
- 12 tablespoons (170 g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup (54 g) finely chopped leeks, green parts only
- 3/4 cup (48 g) finely chopped scallions, green parts only
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (16 g) chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, whisked
If you want to stuff this stuffing in your turkey, follow your own recipe’s instructions. Our directions here are for baking the stuffing in a casserole dish alongside.
Position rack in center of oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Butter the inside of a large casserole dish. A 3 quart (2.8 L) size or a 13 by 9-inch (33 cm by 23 cm) oven-safe dish works well.
Place torn bread in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
Bring the water to a boil in a pot, whisk in the soup base, and simmer for 1 minute; set aside.
Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat, add leek and scallion greens and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Scrape the entire mixture over the bread. Add celery, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and season well with salt and pepper. Fold in eggs then slowly add enough soup base to moisten well.
Loosely spoon stuffing into prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until hot all the way through. If you like a crunchy top, remove foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Serve immediately.
- Note the combo of fresh parsley along with dried herbs. We always use parsley fresh, but sometimes dried herbs work very well and are even preferred, such as in this recipe. BUT, make sure your dried herbs are not old and musty. Replace if they have been hanging around for more than 6 months. "Fresh" dried herbs will have much better flavor.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!