Low FODMAP Spiced Yogurt Grilled Chicken
This dish for Spiced Yogurt Grilled Chicken features skinless, boneless chicken thighs, which we love for their juiciness and quick cooking. You could substitute pieces of skinless, boneless breast but do make sure not to overcook as breasts dry out more easily.
My preference with this dish is to make the marinade and combine it with the chicken in a zip-top plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
We grilled ours outdoors but you could use a grill pan inside, if you like. Certainly the smokiness that hardwood charcoal brings adds an additional dimension, but if it is the dead of winter don’t let that keep you from making our Spiced Yogurt Grilled Chicken. The ingredients are available year round.
Garam Masala, Fresh Ginger & More
The marinade features quite the assemblage of spices and with any recipe that uses dried herbs or spices, make sure yours are fresh. Garam Masala is a fragrant and complex Indian spice blend that thankfully does not contain garlic or onion.
Along with smoked paprika, cumin, chiles, coriander and fresh ginger you process everything in a blender with lactose-free yogurt and Garlic-Infused Oil.
Lime juice adds the necessary acid. A shower of fresh cilantro (or parsley if you like) finishes off the dish.
For a different take on grilled chicken, check out our Lemon Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken Vegetable Kebobs.
Spiced Yogurt Grilled Chicken
This Spiced Yogurt Grilled Chicken does need an overnight marination, so plan ahead.
- 1/2 cup (123 g) lactose-free yogurt, preferably whole milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Garlic-Infused Oil, made with vegetable oil or olive oil, or purchased equivalent such as FODY's
- 1/4 cup (16 g) chopped scallions, green parts only
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1- inch knob of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 pounds (910 g) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (12 g) chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley
Add the yogurt and oil to the bottom of the blender carafe, then add the scallions, lime juice, fresh ginger, coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, garam masala, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes and chipotle pepper. Blend until smooth, scraping down blender as needed.
Pour into a gallon sized zip-top bag or into a nonreactive bowl large enough to hold the chicken as well. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Seal bag or cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Allow chicken to sit at room temperature for about an hour before grilling.
Prepare a medium hot grill, propane or hardwood charcoal, or preheat a grill pan indoors. Brush (your clean) grates with a little vegetable oil.
Remove chicken from marinade, removing excess (I like to pick up with tongs and give a good shake) and grill for about 8 to 10 minutes total, turning often. Remove to platter and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Shower with fresh chopped cilantro and serve. This Spiced Yogurt Grilled Chicken is great at room temperature, too.
- Make sure that your spices are fresh for best results. We like buying in bulk and only purchase what we can use within 6 months.
- Store your spices in a cool, dark place in airtight containers.
- You can use an equal amount of chicken breasts, if you like.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.