A low FODMAP Thai-Inspired Chicken Coconut Broth
The fragrant combo of a hot broth enhanced with coconut milk, lemongrass, fish sauce and lime and studded with chicken and oyster mushrooms is comfort food in a bowl. Super simple to make, too.
The recipe is from the book Wok On by Ching-He Huang. The book presents “Deliciously Balanced Asian meals in 30 Minutes or Less” and they all feature using a wok.
We use our wok all the time, whether we are stir-frying rice or making a meal with tofu and bok choy. It is a work-horse of a tool and this book, while not all low FODMAP, presents dozens of recipes that are inspirational and convertible to our way of eating.
Published with permission. Wok On by Ching-He Huang. Published by Kyle Books, 2019. Photographs by Tamin Jones.
This is a healthy, light, coconut chicken broth dinner. Sometimes I love a soup for dinner, especially if I’ve had a heavy day of eating. For me, the key to keeping the chicken succulent and moist, is to wok-fry and seal it first. Then add all the rest of the ingredients. It’s quick, and makes a delicious light supper. Vegans can substitute the chicken with extra meaty oyster mushrooms. (Editor’s note: watch your serving sizes and tolerances).
Thai-Inspired Chicken Coconut Broth
This simple yet comforting soup comes from the book Wok On. Once you make this, you will whipo it up again and again.
- 14- ounces (400 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced into 1-inch (2.5 cchunks
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, sliced into 1-inch (2.5 cpieces
- 2 cups (480 ml) hot vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut milk
- 1 makrut lime leaf, whole
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered, skin on
- 5 1/4 - ounces (150 g) oyster mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar
- cilantro, to garnish
- Put the chicken in a bowl and season with the salt, white pepper, and cornstarch.
- Heat a wok over high heat until smoking, add the canola oil, and give it a swirl. Add the lemongrass, and toss for a few seconds to release its aroma. Add the chicken, and sear for a few seconds, then cook, tossing, for 2—3 minutes until almost cooked through. Add the hot vegetable stock, coconut milk, lime leaf, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Season with the fish sauce, lime juice, and superfine sugar and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium, and simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, garnish with cilantro, and serve.
- The flavor of this soup will largely depend on the quality of your stock. We have made this with both our homemade Low FODMAP Vegetable Broth as well as Low FODMAP Chicken Stock with great success.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!