Get Your Garlic On – a Very Garlicky Low FODMAP Recipe!
You might be surprised to see a low FODMAP recipe for a garlic mayonnaise, also called aioli. Here’s the deal, which you might know by now – and if you haven’t already, check out our Explore an Ingredient post on garlic.
The FODMAP in garlic is fructans and they are NOT oil soluble. This is why we can make oil-infused with garlic and have it be low FODMAP.
This recipe for Garlic Mayonaise is even safe for the Elimination phase!
In fact, our Garlic-Infused Oil was the very first low FODMAP recipe that we created and it meets all Monash University requirements as a low FODMAP recipe.
When the garlic soaks in the oil, the fructans cannot leach into the oil, due to their insolubility.
When you remove all of the garlic solids before serving, the resulting garlic flavored oil is low FODMAP and safe to eat, even during the Elimination phase.
Here below we have dolloped it on a Salmon Burger.
If you would rather buy garlic oil pre-made, we recommend Fody Garlic-Infused Olive Oil. You will be safe either way and get to “have” your garlic!
We suggest making this aioli the first time with half garlic-infused oil and half mild flavored vegetable oil.
Taste it and if you want it more potent you can use all garlic-infused oil the next time.
The final flavor of the aioli will be wholly dependent on the flavor of the garlic-infused oil that you begin with.
Some are mildly garlic, some are very strong and then of course the quality of the oil can vary itself as well.
You need a raw egg yolk for this aioli recipe.
Raw eggs can harbor Salmonella, a potentially dangerous bacterium and should not be consumed by infants, young children, pregnant women, the elderly or anyone with a compromised immune system.
If you are concerned, you can buy pasteurized eggs.
Recipe Sponsored By Fody Foods
Aioli (Garlic Mayonnaise)
This garlicky mayonnaise is very easy to make and one of the most potent ways to safely enjoy garlic while on the low FODMAP diet.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 1/2 cup (115 ml); 8 servings; serving size 1 tablespoon
- Measure out the two oils in one liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice and salt in a small mixing bowl. Then, drop by drop, add the oil and whisk like crazy all the while. Keep dribbling the oil in and whisk, whisk, whisk. The mixture will thicken; keep whisking until all the oil is incorporated. Use immediately. Try it schmeared on our Salmon Burgers, and easy yet elegant low FODMAP recipe.
- I cannot stress enough that the final flavor of this aioli will depend on the garlic-infused oil that you use. If you make it and find it to be too strong, or not strong enough, try a different oil next time.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!