Easy, Colorful Lemon Lime Herb Mojo
I was on a mojo kick. Check out our Citrus Herb Mojo, that features lemon, orange, dill and tarragon. The combination of citrus and fresh herbs is irresistible. In this Lemon Lime Herb Mojo version I combine fresh lemon and lime juices with parsley, cilantro and scallions. The vibrant green color only hints at the vivid, bright taste.
Here I have marinated chicken thighs in the verdant sauce to bring you Chicken Thighs with Lemon Lime Herb Mojo, but you could just as easily use it for fish or even tofu.
Fresh Herbs vs. Dried Herbs
We use dried herbs all the time. For instance a little dried basil and or oregano in a tomato sauces is an obvious reference. But for a sauce like this? Don’t even think about using dried herbs.
They must be fresh.
You won’t get the signature color or flavor without them. Just. Don’t. Do. It.
Fresh vs. Bottled Lemon & Lime Juices
Ditto for the lemon and lime juice. You could get by using bottled juices (whereas you absolutely cannot use dried herbs) but the resulting mojo will only hold a candle to the results using fresh citrus. Don’t skimp!
As far as the chicken parts, we love thighs for their juiciness. You could use legs or leg quarters but breasts will give you a drier result. If you must have white meat, make sure you use bone-in and skin-on and buy breasts that aren’t too big. The extra large ones take longer to cook, and they can dry out with extended oven time.
We like this dish with rice, white or brown. Your choice. We made jasmine rice for the image – and that night’s dinner!
Chicken Thighs with Lemon Lime Herb Mojo
Chicken Thighs with Lemon Lime Herb Mojo is easy and packs a ton of flavor into a one-pan dinner that is quick enough to make on a weeknight.
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil or plain extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, green parts only
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra
- 8 medium chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
Place the lemon and lime juice and olive oil in a blender followed by the fresh herbs, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse on and off then process until smooth, scraping down if necessary.
Place chicken thighs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, using your hands to massage in on all sides. Pour mojo over chicken, reserving about 1/4 cup (60 ml), which you can do by eye. Make sure the chicken is coated on all sides and allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Place chicken on rimmed sheet-pan, evenly spaced, and roast for about to 30 to 40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part (not touching bone) registers 165°F/74°C. Allow to sit for 5 minutes for juices to redistribute within the chicken. Serve with your choice of sides, but we recommend rice or quinoa and a nice steamed green or a big salad. This is great at room temp, too.
- It bears saying again - you must use fresh herbs for this mojo sauce and they should be as fresh and vibrant as possible!
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!