Easy and So Quick!!
There are “red sauces” that require simmering all day and then there is this – our Everyday Quick Tomato Sauce: a super quick, incredibly easy tomato sauce, based on canned tomato products and dried herbs that will come in handy when making lasagna, spaghetti, pizza and the like – and it is kitchen tested and low FODMAP!
You do need Garlic-Infused Oil made with olive oil, either homemade or purchased. For the canned tomatoes, we like Muir Glen.
Note: This post may include affiliate links. Please see our complete disclosure here.
Get Familiar With Basics!
This was one of the first Basic recipes that we developed because we find uses for it every week and we bet you will too!
There are some low FODMAP seasoned tomato sauces on the market and more will probably appear, but nothing compares to homemade and it is one of those Basic recipes that we think everyone should have in their repertoire.
Even if you have never tried to make a homemade tomato sauce before, you will have success with this one.
Everyday Quick Tomato Sauce
This tomato sauce can go from start to finish in less than 30 minutes, so get the pasta water boiling! Great for pizza, pasta or anytime you need a fast red sauce that takes advantage of canned tomatoes.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes 12 cups (2.8 L); serving size 1/2 cup (120 ml); 24 servings
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil, or purchased equivalent such as FODY Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4, 28-ounce (794 g) cans crushed or diced tomatoes (with no garlic or onion)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large sized saucepan over medium heat until shimmering and add the basil and oregano. Stir to combine for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, if using, and several grinds of pepper. Bring to a simmer over low-medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and correct seasoning as needed. The sauce is ready to use or cool to room temperature and refrigerate in airtight container for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months. We like to divvy it up into 1-cup (240 ml) portions for future flexibility.
If You Can Tolerate
- Fructans: If you have passed the garlic fructan challenge you can add 2 to 4 minced garlic cloves to the sauce mixture.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!