Balancing Your Meal
When we are making a rich main dish, such as a Standing Rib Roast, we definitely like to complement it with a light, green salad. But that doesn’t have to mean boring. Just take a look at the images for our Fennel, Kale & Parsley Salad with Clementines & Olives. It is light, cool, refreshing and packed with juicy sweet and salty flavor.
The salty Kalamata olives and the sweet clementines make a great combo, and tossing them with thinly shaved crunchy fennel, Lacinato kale and an abundance of chopped parsley creates a salad that is more than a sum of its parts. Clementines are super easy to peel, which means this salad comes together quite quickly, too. We use our Sherry Vinaigrette as the perfect dressing for this salad.
Buy In Bulk
We like to buy the olives from the bulk “bar” at our local market, which allows us to buy just what we need, making them very economical. That said, if you have some extra olives around, you will find ways to use them and they can add fabulous salty flavor to many dishes – so buy extra!
We like to think of citrus as a bit of winter sunshine. We might be missing our summer melons and berries, but between the Mandarins, clementines, navel oranges and blood oranges, we have many sweet treats from which to choose.
Here we used clementines for their ease of prep but if you have access to Cara Cara oranges, which have a pinkish-orange flesh and super sweet flavor, or dramatic blood oranges, by all means, take advantage.
Any which way you will want to carefully peel the rind and pith away from whatever citrus you are using.
Please note that the Nutritional information is approximate. It will greatly depend on how much Sherry Vinaigrette you use.
Fennel, Kale & Parsley Salad with Clementines & Olives
Fennel, Kale & Parsley Salad with Clementines & Olives. It is light, cool, refreshing salad and packed with juicy sweet and salty flavor. Beautiful for dinner parties too!
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 4 cups (960 ml); about 6 to 8 servings
- 1 medium head of fennel
- 1 small bunch Lacinato kale, washed and dried
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley
- 2 clementines
- 1/2 cup (54 g) pitted Kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 1 batch Sherry Vinaigrette
- Prepare the fennel by trimming away the root end, stalks and fronds. (You can save them to use for stock). Quarter the bulb and remove the hard inner core. Slice the bulb crosswise into very thin slices. I like to use a mandoline but you can use a sharp chef’s knife. Measure the sliced fennel and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Strip the kale of any tough stems. Finely julienne enough kale, cutting crosswise, to equal half the amount of the fennel; add to bowl. Chop enough flat leaf parsley to create an equal amount to the kale. Toss in with the fennel. Peel the clementines and remove as much of the white pith as possible; add them to the bowl along with the olives.
- Dress the salad with just enough Sherry Vinaigrette to lightly coat. I like to dress this salad at least 3 hours ahead to allow flavors and textures to improve. Refrigerate during the waiting period. Don’t serve ice cold, but don’t serve at room temp either; aim for slightly chilled for best results. Salad may be made up to 6 hours ahead, or, you can even prep all the greens the day before and then finish the salad the day of.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!