Snack Attack – Garlicky Parmesan Herb Popcorn!
Snacks! Always have low FODMAP snacks handy. If hunger strikes and there is no low FODMAP food around you are more likely to reach for something you shouldn’t – and pay the consequences later (or sooner!)
This Garlicky Parmesan Herb Popcorn is perfect for accompanying your next movie night – or anytime you want something savory to munch on.
We offer directions for popping the corn stovetop with oil, but you can certainly begin with an air-popper, if you have one.
Choose Your Corn Wisely
Corn is a large crop and much of it is subjected to a lot of pesticides and herbicides or is a GMO product (genetically modified organism).
Organic foods cannot be GMO and we prefer to buy organic popcorn kernels. In fact, we buy ours in bulk and it is quite economical this way. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Low FODMAP Garlicky Parmesan Herb Popcorn
This Garlicky Parmesan Herb Popcorn is easy to make and so satisfying to munch on! We smuggle ours into the movie theatre, but don't tell anyone!
- 2 tablespoons Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil, or purchased equivalent
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) neutral vegetable oil, such as canola or rice bran oil
- 2/3 cup (140 g) popcorn kernels, preferably organic
- 2/3 cup (66 g) grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
Combine the Garlic-Infused Oil, butter, basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat to melt butter. Remove from heat, stir together and allow to sit while you make the popped corn.
Place 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil in a large (at least 6 quart) covered pot. Add a few corn kernels, cover and heat over low heat. When you hear and see the kernels pop, add the remaining kernels, cover, and continue to cook until all the corn pops, about 3 minutes or so. Shake the pot often, holding down the lid for most of the time and vent the cover towards the end of popping to allow steam to escape. Pay attention as the popping sounds begin to slow down and remove from heat the moment the popping ceases.
Pour popped corn into a large bowl. Drizzle the herbed butter mixture over the corn, sprinkle the Parmesan over all and toss well. Salt to taste. I like to add some freshly ground pepper, too, but it is optional. I like this best when fresh and even a bit warm but it can be held for a few hours at room temperature.
- I love using rice bran oil for popping corn. I have found it to have the cleanest taste of all the vegetable oils I have tried. It makes the popped corn feel less oily and a bit lighter.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!