Learn How to Make Low FODMAP Cream Cheese Frosting
Our Low FODMAP Cream Cheese Frosting was developed with lactose-free cream cheese, so the ratios and preparation techniques are different from classic cream cheese frostings.
Some of you might be surprised to see this recipe here, but the low FODMAP diet is NOT a dairy-free diet, while it is lower in lactose. You can read more about that in our article, Lactose, Dairy & The Low FODMAP Diet.
You cannot take a standard cream cheese frosting recipe and just sub in the lactose-free cream cheese; it won’t work.
Learn from our trials and experience!
Just Like Classic Cream Cheese Frosting
Just like classic cream cheese frosting, our low FODMAP version is rich, creamy, a tad sweet but also a little tangy.
The ingredients come together beautifully and we love this frosting with our Low FODMAP Carrot Cake (seen below), Red Velvet Cake and Hummingbird Cake, in particular, but feel free to use it whenever you want this classic frosting but in a low FODMAP version.
Sometimes, when we are feeling decadent, we even schmear it on WAFFLES!
You might also like it as a topping for cupcakes. Try our low FODMAP Chocolate cupcakes! Great for Bake Sales.
Low FODMAP Cream Cheese Frosting
This is the perfect low FODMAP, lactose-free Cream Cheese Frosting you have been looking for!
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes: Enough for 12 cupcakes or 1, 8-inch (20 cm) or 9-inch (23 cm) layer cake; about 3 cups (720 ml) frosting
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick; 85 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 3 cups (270 g) sifted confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup (113 g) Green Valley Creamery lactose-free cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- Beat the butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, until very creamy and smooth, for about 2 minutes. Add the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese and lemon juice and begin by beating on low speed. As the frosting comes together and you aren’t in danger of confectioners’ sugar flying everywhere, turn speed up to high and beat until very creamy and smooth, probably about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl once or twice during the process to make sure everything is blended evenly and smoothly. The frosting is ready to use and best if used immediately.
- Please note that the Nutritional Info is based on using Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cream Cheese.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.