Let’s Make a Low FODMAP CBD Oil Pizza!
CBD Oil Pizza? Why not? That’s what we thought, so I went into the Test Kitchen to venture into this new arena of CBD oil cooking and baking.
And we also have a second article, Using CBD Oil in Low FODMAP Recipes, which will get you ready to cook with CBD hemp oil! This CBD oil pizza is a great first recipe.
Let’s Talk About Pizza Crust
You can begin with a frozen crust to make this pizza come together very quickly, or a low FODMAP gluten-free pizza crust baking-mix. As always, please read labels and avoid high FODMAP ingredients such as high FODMAP flours, inulin and chicory root.
It should be fairly easy to find a pizza crust with low FODMAP ingredients.
Some crusts or mixes might contain gums, such as xanthan gum and guar gum, but don’t worry – they are low FODMAP.
This recipe is based on a 12-inch (30.5 cm) pizza crust. Adjust as necessary for crusts of other dimensions, taking care not to stack FODMAPs with other ingredients and serving sizes.
Sausage, Mozzarella & Tomatoes
I chose to use sweet Italian sausage for this recipe, but you could use hot Italian sausage. The trick with either choice is to purchase a low FODMAP sausage. Ask the butcher and read labels. In the U.S. if there is garlic used in the raw sausage ingredients it must be listed.
It will not be hidden within a generic “spices” listing. We buy ours at the Whole Foods meat counter. (BTW did you know that we have a Low FODMAP Whole Foods Shopping Lists containing thousands of low FODMAP products curated by our Monash trained registered dietitians?)
Mozzarella is low FODMAP in 40 g portions, but it does not even veer into moderate FODMAP territory until it gets to 630 g (about 4 cups!) This means that there is a lot of wiggle room for using mozzarella in our tested low FODMAP recipes.
The low FODMAP diet is not a dairy free diet and the amount of mozzarella used in this recipe should be tolerated by most with IBS, but use your own knowledge of your relationship with lactose and cheese in particular.
Instead of tomato sauce this CBD Oil Pizza uses fresh tomatoes. Slice and go! Buy the freshest, plump, red tomatoes that you can find.
Choose Your CBD Hemp Oil
We have recipes for CBD Oil Hot Fudge Sauce as well as CBD Oil Salted Caramel Sauce, both of which incorporate CBD hemp oil in the recipe itself. This pizza is a little different in that you will be adding the CBD hemp oil right before serving and it is not cooked within the recipe itself.
It is best not to heat CBD hemp oil over 180°F/82°C and this is one way to protect the potency.
I used Elixinol brand for all of these recipes. When making this recipe, follow the amount called for. For our pizza this it will be 15 drops per serving. That is equivalent to about 1/8 teaspoon, just so you are aware, but you will be adding it to the food using the dropper.
Using the Elixinol brand means that each serving of our Low FODMAP CBD Oil Pizza will contain about 5 milligrams of cannabidiol (CBD).
If you use a different brand, your dosage might vary. For brand recommendations see below the recipe.
Low FODMAP CBD Oil Pizza with Sausage & Fresh Tomato
We have begun experimenting with cooking with CBD oil and this pizza is a great introduction to working with this supplement.
- ½ pound (225 g) low FODMAP sweet Italian sausage
- 12- inch (30.5 cm) low FODMAP pizza crust, rolled out and ready to use. If using a frozen crust, follow any preparation instructions
- Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil or purchased equivalent
- 8- ounces (225 g) mozzarella, sliced or shredded
- 3 medium beefsteak tomatoes, cored, sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Crushed red pepper flakes optional
- CBD hemp oil in a dropper bottle
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
- Squeeze the sausage out of its casing into a nonstick skillet and sauté over medium heat, breaking it up with a spatula, cooking until it is no longer pink; set aside.
- Drizzle a little oil on a heavy-duty sheet pan or 14-inch (35.5 cm) cast iron skillet. Pat out pizza crust directly on large baking sheet pan or in skillet to a 12-inch (30.5 cm) diameter. If using a frozen crust, simply place on pan of choice.
- Arrange mozzarella and tomatoes all over crust in an overlapping or intermingled manner. Sprinkle sausage evenly over all, then sprinkle with Parmesan. Take a hefty pinch of basil and oregano and scatter over the pizza, then add the red pepper flakes, if using.
Bake pizza until crust is browned and crisp on the bottom and cheese is melted and beginning to bubble, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cut into 4 servings and add 15 drops of CBD hemp oil to each serving. Serve and enjoy!
- Please note that the Nutritional Info does not include the CBD Oil in the calculations.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Where to Buy Quality CBD Oil If You and Your Health Care Provider Have Determined It’s Worth A Try
There are an increasing number of options around where to buy CBD. First, make sure it is legal to purchase CBD (Hemp or Cannibidoil) in your country. Check online for yourself first and be sure you are following the most up to date guidelines you can find.
We have chosen these Hemp CBD sellers based on the following…. the product is full spectrum and made from the whole plant, they can provide third party test results of potency and prove they are clean from chemicals/pesticides, they are organically grown and preferably non-GMO. We are also affiliates to these sellers – meaning we make a small amount of money if you purchase some product using our link. The price to you is the same.