Low FODMAP Hummingbird Snack Cake – Bananas, Pineapple & Pecans
A favorite in the southern part of the United States, Hummingbird cake is loaded with pineapple, nuts, and bananas making it moist, flavorful and a good keeper. This is my version for FODMAPers: a Low FODMAP Hummingbird Snack Cake.
While it was a lovely rendition, it is too over-the-top for us FODMAPers: too much fruit per serving. This Low FODMAP Hummingbird Snack Cake is the solution!
Good Old 13 x 9-inch Pan
Also, I had an idea to reimagine it as a snack cake, baked in a 13 x 9-inch pan. This makes it easy to cut into small square portions and is my preferred pan shape for cakes that I want to bring to potlucks, office parties, school events and what have you.
You can frost and transport right in the pan. You can even leave it “naked” for a simpler presentation, or lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Speaking of Frosting
The frosting, by the way, is our Lactose-Free Cream Cheese Frosting, which is incredibly versatile. It is equally welcomed on cupcakes, snack cakes as well as layer cakes.
As with all the recipes that use Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cream Cheese make sure to follow the directions. This kind of cream cheese does not act like regular cream cheese upon agitation.
It tends to liquefy, which mean you cannot take your own favorite cream cheese frosting recipe and simply replace the lactose-free cream cheese in the same amount, nor can you follow the traditional preparation technique.
Using the lactose-free is not any more difficult; just follow the simple instructions and it will work the first time, every time!
Crazy For Bananas
Bananas get a bad rap in FODMAP circles and that is only because there is so much misinformation and misunderstanding out there. We have an article for you that dives deep into everything you need to know about bananas and FODMAPs. Please check out Are Bananas Low FODMAP?
More Easy Snack Cakes
Check these out too:
- Cornmeal Blackberry Snack Cake
- Strawberry Yogurt Skillet Cake
- Spicy Chocolate Snack Cake
- Vanilla Almond Tea Cake
- Angel Food Cake
- Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- Rustic Rhubarb Cake
- Yellow Cake with Sprinkles
- Cinnamon Streusel Coffeecake
- Chocolate Pumpkin Marble Cake
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Streusel
- Blueberry Sour Cream Bundt
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Banana Nut Bundt Cake
- Cranberry Almond Bundt Cake
- Clementine Almond Cake
- Lemon Almond Cake
Low FODMAP Hummingbird Snack Cake
Our Low FODMAP Hummingbird Snack Cake is packed with banana, pineapple and nuts - yet our serving sizes are low FODMAP!
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes 1, 13 x 9-inch (33 cm x 23 cm) cake; 24 pieces; serving size 1 piece
- 2 3/4 cups (399 g) plus 2 tablespoons low FODMAP gluten-free all-purpose flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/2 cups (218 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil, such as canola or rice bran
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2-inch (12 mm) rounds
- 1 cup (100 g) toasted pecan halves, chopped
- 1 cup (225 g) canned crushed pineapple, lightly drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ Sugar, optional
- 1 recipe Lactose-Free Cream Cheese Frosting, optional
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Coat the inside of a 13 x 9-inch (33 cm x 23 cm) pan with nonstick spray. Dust lightly with extra flour, shaking out excess.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl to combine and aerate; set aside.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oil and eggs until well blended. Stir in bananas, nuts, pineapple and vanilla.
Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until combined. Batter will be heavy; make sure you combine well and there are no pockets of flour left. Scrape into prepared pan and smooth top with a small offset spatula.
Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden skewer shows a few moist crumbs. Cool pan on rack until completely cooled. Cake is ready to frost - or serve as is, or dusted lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
If using frosting, make sure it is nice and creamy and spreadable. Cover entire cake top with casual swirls of frosting, using an icing spatula or even the back of a spoon. Cake may be served immediately or stored at cool room temperature in covered container for up to 3 days.
If You Can Tolerate
- Fructans: If you have passed your fructan wheat Challenge successfully then you can use conventional all-purpose flour made from wheat for the cake. Use weights (not volume) to figure out amounts.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.