Get Your Swirl On
A simple vanilla frosting comes in handy for cupcakes and layer cakes and this simple American-style confectioners’ sugar based frosting flavored with vanilla is even safe for during your Elimination phase, so you can rest assured that it can work into your low FODMAP lifestyle.
Confectioners’ Sugar = Icing sugar
Confectioners’ sugar is sometimes called powdered sugar in the U.S. and it is referred to as icing sugar in Australia. The term “10x sugar” is sometimes also used interchangeably, which refers to the fact that it is ten times finer than granulated.
Use this frosting for your favorite low FODMAP cake, whether in cupcake form, round layer cake or rectangular snack cake form. Note that it makes 12 servings and the amount of buttercream might be a bit less than you are used to, but this is, in part, what keeps it low FODMAP.
Low FODMAP Simple Vanilla Frosting
This basic American-style buttercream recipe will work well for cupcakes or layer cakes.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or 1, 8-inch (20 cm) or 9-inch (23 cm) layer cake; 12 servings
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add half of the icing sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Add remaining sugar, milk and vanilla and beat on high speed until silky smooth. If it is too thin, add a little more icing sugar. If it is too thick add a little but more milk. Frosting is now ready to use and best if used immediately.
- Frost cupcakes or fill and frost cake once they are completely cooled. You can use a small offset spatula to create a casual look to apply frosting or use a pastry bag and star tip to create beautiful swirls.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!