A Low FODMAP Irish Coffee Treat
How about a little after-dinner treat? Our Low FODMAP Irish Coffee is classic, combining brewed black coffee, whiskey, a touch of sugar and cream. Dessert and hot beverage all in one.
Is Whiskey Low FODMAP?
Yes, whiskey is low FODMAP in amounts of 1 ounce (30 ml/2 tablespoons)!
To Whip or Not to Whip
Some recipes for Irish Coffee finish it off with whipped cream, and you certainly can.
Whipped cream is low FODMAP in ½ cup (60 g) amounts – and you only need a dollop for this recipe! A fraction of that!
Or, you could try floating some cream on top of your drink. This is accomplished by slowly pouring cream over the back of a spoon so that it gently pools on top of your beverage.
It doesn’t always work, as my pictures attest.
I wanted to show you the layered look of a cream “float” on top of the dark brown coffee, but the cream decided to sink…so I took advantage and shot several images – and I think it looks pretty damn cool.
And it tasted delicious!
Coffee, IBS & FODMAPs
This recipe is best enjoyed if you and coffee get along – symptom wise. While coffee does not contain FODMAPs, it can still trigger GI symptoms for many. Read our article, The Low FODMAP Diet, Coffee & Coffee Drinks for more details.
You Don’t Have to Be Irish
You don’t have to be Irish to enjoy our Irish Coffee, but in case you are in an Irish mood, try our Corned Beef & Cabbage, Irish Soda Bread (a lean version and a richer version), Irish Whiskey Chocolate Mousse and…drum roll please – a Low FODMAP Black Velvet Guinness Chocolate Cake. OH YES!
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!
Low FODMAP Irish Coffee
Our Low FODMAP Irish Coffee is best for the adults in the room - it packs a caffeine wallop, with the addition of a shot of low FODMAP whiskey.
- ¾ cup (180 ml) hot brewed black coffee
- 1 ounce (30 ml/2 tablespoons) Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, or dollop of unsweetened or lightly sweetened whipped cream
- If you have a clear glass mug, all the better for a pretty effect.
- Stir together the coffee, whiskey and sugar in a warmed mug until sugar dissolves. Add cream, or a dollop of whipped cream. To “float” the cream (or at least try to), place a teaspoon rounded side up with the spoon just touching the surface of the coffee. Slowly pour the cream over the back of the spoon, allowing it to gently pool on the surface of the coffee. Good luck! It will be delicious any which way.