Easy Low FODMAP Blue Cheese Dip & Dressing
We all need a great blue cheese dip, whether we are following the low FODMAP diet or not. This Low FODMAP Blue Cheese Dip & Dressing is rich, creamy, filled with blue cheese and is versatile, hence its name.
You can use it to dip raw veggies or pretzels or drizzle it over a nice big wedge of crunchy lettuce.
Is Blue Cheese Gluten-Free?
Great question! Some blue cheeses are made by being inoculated with spores that are grown on gluten-containing foodstuffs such as wheat, barley or rye.
Whether these cheeses are suitable for those with celiac disease or those with gluten intolerance makes for a lively debate.
According to the National Celiac Association,
” Past testing of blue cheese containing mold spores grown on gluten-containing materials has been done by the Canadian Celiac Association. Results were < 5 ppm gluten.
However, more recent testing shows that it is possible that barley enzymes may sometimes contain enough barley protein to be a problem for individuals with celiac disease.”
Some blue cheese is distinctly labeled as gluten-free and you could seek out those for extra insurance. Cheese making approaches can change, so always check with manufacturers for up-to-date information on their products. And work with your registered dietitian as well.
Try this blue cheese dressing drizzled over our Low FODMAP Buffalo Chicken Fries.
Low FODMAP Blue Cheese Dip & Dressing
This might just be the best blue cheese dressing you have EVER eaten!
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 1 1/2 cups (360 ml); 6 servings; serving size 1/4 cup (60 ml)
- 1/3 cup (82 g) lactose-free sour cream, such as Green Valley Creamery
- 1/3 cup (80 g) lactose-free yogurt, such as Green Valley Creamery
- 1/4 cup (55 g) mayonnaise
- 6- ounces (170 g) blue cheese, crumbled; use gluten-free if desired
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Simply gently whisk together the sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a small bowl. Stir in the blue cheese and season to taste with salt (if needed) and pepper. The dip/dressing is ready to serve, or it may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days. This makes a fairly thick dip. If you want it a little thinner for a salad dressing, you can whisk in a few drops of water or lactose-free milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- You will notice that I am always asking for "freshly ground black pepper" - and I mean it! If you use pre-ground black pepper that comes in a tin or jar, you are missing out! Especially in a recipe like this, which is fairly simple, where the seasoning is very important. Freshly ground black pepper will bring a depth and vibrancy that is missing from pre-ground.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!