Are Collard Greens Low FODMAP? YES!
Collard greens have only trace amounts of FODMAPs in generous portions of 1 cup (75 g). We knew we had to bring you a recipe for Low FODMAP Simmered Collard Greens.
They are a fabulous green to add to your regular rotation. So many people think that the have to limit vegetables and it is only true as far as certain ones and certain portions.
I have been eating low FODMAP for years and my diet is filled with fabulous veggies, such as these Low FODMAP Simmered Collard Greens. Which happen to be vegan!
Unlike a quick blanching, steaming or sauté, this dish ash you simmering the greens for quite a while in a generous amount of vegetable stock. Perhaps you have heard the term, “pot liquor” and wondered what that was.
Sometimes it is spelled “pot likker” or “potlikker” but it is all the same thing. It refers to the liquid in which your dish is cooked and it is flavorful and plentiful and looked upon as a part of the dish in its own right. You do not throw it down the sink!
Loving Pot Liquor
Pot liquor is not only flavorful, it often contains plenty of nutrition as well. It is almost like a yummy and healthy self-creating sauce.
Low FODMAP Simmered Collard Greens
Are collard greens low FODMAP? Yes, they are! Our Low FODMAP Simmered Collard Greens are easy to make and delicious.
- 1 tablespoons Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil or vegetable oil, or purchased equivalent
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, green parts only
- 3 cups Low FODMAP Vegetable Broth, see Tips
- 1 pound (455 g) fresh collard greens, hard stems removed, the rest (stems and leaves) roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, add scallion greens and sauté until soft, just a minute or two. Add the broth and chopped collard greens, season with salt and pepper, cover and adjust heat to simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until the greens are nice and tender and the pot liquor is rich and flavorful.
- We are partial to our very own recipe for from-scratch Vegetable Broth, and it can be frozen for ease of future-use, but we also recognize that sometimes you need broth or stock FAST. There are pantry products that we would never be without, and Fody Vegetable Soup Base is one of them. With this product at hand you can make this dish in a flash! As simple as boiling water.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.