Low FODMAP Short Ribs with Horseradish & Red Wine
When we saw that Monash has added horseradish as a Green Light condiment we got very exited! We love the bold flavor that horseradish provides in everything from a simple sour cream sauce to go with Roast Prime Rib to an incomparable flavor enhancer as in these Short Ribs with Horseradish & Red Wine.
One Dish; Powerhouse Flavor
Just as with our brisket, this recipe uses a heavy Dutch-oven, we start the recipe on top of the stove and then it goes into the oven where the bulk of the recipe cooking time occurs, allowing you time to make salad and/or mashed potatoes – or take a nap!
The flavors concentrate during the long, slow cooking time yielding falling-off-the-bone meat and an incredible depth of flavor. And yet, the preparation is so easy. You get a lot of bang for your buck.
Recipe Sponsored By FODY Foods
Short Ribs with Horseradish & Red Wine
Short Ribs with Horseradish & Red Wine are easy to make and while they braise for 2 ½ hours in the oven, it is all hands-off time.
- 6 large (about 3 pounds (1.4 kg)) bone-in short ribs
- 2 tablespoons Garlic-Infused Oil or FODY Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons FODY Steak Spice Blend, divided
- 1 cup (72 g) chopped leeks, green parts only
- 1/4 cup (16 g) chopped scallions, green parts only
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, scrubbed or peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 medium medium parsnips, trimmed, scrubbed or peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1, 19.4 ounce (550 g) jar FODY Marinara Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup (168 g) prepared horseradish
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C.
Place the short ribs in a bowl and rub in 1 tablespoon of the oil to coat all sides, then rub in 1 teaspoon of the FODY Steak Spice Blend.
Heat a 5 quart (4.7 L) Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add short ribs and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total (use tongs to move them around). Remove and set aside.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon garlic-infused oil to pot, turn heat down to low-medium, add leek and scallion greens and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes.
Stir in carrots, parsnips, Marinara, red wine and horseradish and remaining FODY spice blend and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add short ribs back to pot, nestling them down in the sauce. Seal top of pot with aluminum foil, place lid on top and place in oven.
Braise in the oven for 2 ½ hours. Short ribs should be fork tender and falling off the bone. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning as desired. Short ribs are ready to serve. May be made up to 3 days ahead. Simply refrigerate in an airtight container and reheat on top of stove.
- If you want to use a different low FODMAP tomato sauce and your own seasonings, this dish can be made, but it will take some tinkering to get the flavors right. Keep tasting and adjusting, but certainly the Fody products will make it easy for you.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.