Get Your Hot/Sweet Fix
Sweet Chili Sauce was always part of my pantry. It is a popular sauce in Thai and Malaysian cuisine, and it has become quite popular with American diners and beyond.
That bottle of thick sweet sauce speckled with tons of hot pepper flakes provided the perfect hot/sweet balance to stir-fries and was a perfect dipping sauce for Summer Rolls and other dippable items.
The problem is that it contains garlic.
Ngoc to the Rescue
Ngoc Doan stopped by the Test Kitchen to teach us how to make Summer Rolls – her own family’s version. She also showed us how to make this low FODMAP version of Sweet Chili Sauce and we decided to list it as a Basic.
Now we never have to go without. It keeps pretty well and if you have it on hand you will think of uses for it. Give it a try!
Note that the recipe uses sambal oelek, a type of hot chili sauce. Read the ingredient label, which should list only chiles, vinegar and salt.
Sweet Chili Sauce
Bottled Sweet Chili Sauce contains garlic. Ngoc Doan helped us make a low FODMAP version that is perfect with Summer Rolls.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 1 cup (240 ml); serving size 1 tablespoon
- Stir sugar and water together in a small saucepan, then stir in sambal. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and whisk in rice vinegar and lime juice. Cool.
Sweet Chili Sauce may be used immediately or refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- We know that this is a condiment that you would typically buy and perhaps it feels like a bit off to-do to make it, but it is very easy and lasts a long time. Give it a try!
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!