Mediterranean Pasta Salad
This Mediterranean Pasta Salad came about when I needed to make dinner on a hot New England summer evening. And this was the day after there was a hailstorm! Yup, I got that baby documented on a video.
Such is the weather in our part of the world.
I like pasta salads IF the pasta has not been refrigerated. I do not like the extreme firmness that the pasta takes on during refrigeration, so planning is key.
Dinner In A Bowl (or On A Platter)
Pasta salads do have a lot going for them, though. They are easy to make vegetarian or even vegan. You can add all sorts of colorful vegetables that you love and fresh herbs really enhance the whole dish.
They can be simple or fancy enough for a party.
They are easy to make!
This Mediterranean Pasta Salad is easy and fancy looking! Best of all worlds.
Colorful Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Our Mediterranean Pasta Salad combines rice pasta with tomatoes, cucumbers, red bell pepper, optional radicchio (LOVE the color), scallions, black olives, green olives, feta, fresh parsley, fresh oregano and a light wine vinaigrette.
Vegans could remove the feta and call it a day – and it would be a happy day!
Choose Your Pasta Shape
The pasta shape pictured is caserecce made by Jovial. Fusilli would work, as would farfalle. You want a pasta that has some nooks and crannies for the dressing, cheese and veggies to cling to.
If you like pasta salads, be sure to check out our Fusilli with chickpeas!
For the chicken, you could use a store-bought rotisserie chicken, or use our Whole Roast Chicken.
For another chicken salad that is great as a main dish for summer, check this one out that features green beans and Gruyere!
Low FODMAP Mediterranean Pasta Salad
This Low FODMAP Mediterranean Pasta Salad is easy to make and customizable. Make it vegan by leaving out the feta and chicken, or enhance it further and add shrimp or the chicken.
- 6- ounces (170 g) short curly pasta, cooked slightly longer than al dente, drained
- 6- ounces (170 g) cooked chicken breast, cubed or cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 4- ounces (115 g) feta cheese, cubed
- 2- ounces (55 g) shredded radicchio, optional
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 10 pitted black Kalamata olives, halved crosswise
- 10 pitted green olives, such as Castelvetrano, halved crosswise
- 2 Persian cucumbers, trimmed and cut thickly crosswise
- ½ red bell pepper, cored, cut into slivers
- ¼ cup (16 g) finely chopped scallions, green parts only
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Red Wine Vinaigrette
Simple toss together the cooked, drained pasta, chicken, feta, radicchio if using, cherry tomatoes, black and green olives, cucumber, red bell pepper, scallions, parsley and oregano.
Dress lightly with dressing. Start with about ¼ cup (60 mof dressing and adjust from there. Serve soon after assembling.
- You can have all the components, except the pasta, prepped and ready to go, including the dressing, even the day before and stored in airtight container in fridge. Then just cook the pasta and let it cool to rom temp and make your salad.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.