Polenta is Low FODMAP
Looking for a vegan fall and winter main dish? This recipe for Low FODMAP Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms & Kale will please vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
Oyster mushrooms are low FODMAP in generous portions and their meaty texture and flavor is hearty and satisfying.
The polenta is purchased in logs and ready to go, which means that this elegant dish can be whipped up on a weeknight. The mushrooms are simply sautéed in a skillet with garlicky oil and seasoning and ladled over the crisp polenta rounds.
Soy Sauce is Low FODMAP
Not all soy products are low FODMAP, which can be confusing. Luckily soy sauce is! It can add umami, or a savory complexity, as it does here.
Read Soy and The Low FODMAP Diet for more information.
You Don’t Actually Have to Massage the Kale
While the idea of massaging kale might sound intriguing, it is actually a pain in the butt. I like to buy a big bunch of lacinato kale, strip it of its hard stems and then use the food processor fitted with a metal blade to chop – and massage – it.
Massaging kale is called for in recipes to begin to break down the cell wall structure, which the food processor does quite easily. If you are a kale fan, check out our Kale Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate and Fennel, Kale & Parsley Salad, as well as other recipes that you can search for using use our Recipe Filter.
For brunch, lunch or breakfast, we also have our awesome kale and bread strata,
Low FODMAP Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms & Kale
This recipe for Low FODMAP Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms & Kale takes advantage of purchased tubes of cooked polenta - making this a very quick & easy recipe.
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil, or purchased equivalent
- 3/4 cup (54 g) finely chopped leek greens
- 3/4 cup (48 g) finely chopped scallion greens
- 10- ounces (280 g) trimmed and cleaned oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup (75 ml ) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups (65 g) very finely chopped and massaged kale
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 18- ounces (510 g) prepared, firm polenta log/tube, sliced crosswise into 12 rounds, about 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick
- Place 3 tablespoons of the Garlic-Infused Oil in a large skillet and heat over low-medium heat. Add leek and scallion greens and sauté for a few minutes, until softened. Add chopped mushrooms, soy sauce and thyme and continue to sauté for a few minutes, until mushrooms have softened as well. Turn heat up, add white wine and kale sauté, stirring often, until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Taste and add pepper, as desired. Set aside and keep very warm.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a clean skillet over medium heat. Add rounds of polenta, leaving room around them. (You will have to do this in batches). Cook for a few minutes until golden on the bottom, then flip over and cook the second side until golden. Keep warm while you cook remaining polenta rounds.
- To serve, place 2 polenta rounds on each dish and top with warm mushroom kale mixture. Serve immediately.
- Perhaps you have never bought the pre-made polenta before. At first sight, it can look odd. After all, it is a tube of polenta! But take a look at the ingredients. These logs actually have a very simple ingredient list and they are certainly convenient. Try it with this recipe!
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!