Low FODMAP Frozen Beverages
I love tropical fruit. I don’t know if it is because tropical fruit for us is “exotic” or if it is the flavors themselves; I think it is a little bit if both.
I do miss chowing down on mangoes – they are very high FODMAP, but there are many tropical fruits that are low FODMAP and I have combined coconut, pineapple and passion fruit all together in this blended frozen beverage that I call a Low FODMAP Tropical Frosty.
Watch Your Portions
As mentioned, coconut can be low FODMAP, as can pineapple and passion fruit – in particular portions. Let’s look at the FODMAPs, one by one.
- Coconut contains sorbitol
- Passion fruit contains fructans
- Pineapple contains fructans
This breakdown is important to pay attention to so that you can learn about Stacking FODMAPs. Simply put, this means that the passion fruit and pineapple in particular must be in small enough portions so that the total of the two does not create a FODMAP overload of fructans. Please follow our serving size recommendations to keep the Tropical Frosty beverage low FODMAP.
You can sweeten the drink if you like with Simple Syrup.
For more inventive, low FODMAP beverages, be sure to check out the following:
- Blood Orange Ginger Mint Spritzer
- Cranberry Cinnamon Swizzle
- White Wine Spritzer
- Tropical Frosty
- Mint Hot Chocolate
- Honey Lemon Ginger Tea
- Vancouver 75
- Basil Orange Smash
- White Wine Sangria with Basil & Mint
- Moscow Mule
- Rose Martini
- Fennel Rhubarb Gin Spritz
Low FODMAP Tropical Frosty
Our Low FODMAP Tropical Frosty combines coconut milk and fresh passion fruit and pineapple.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) full fat or lite canned coconut milk, preferably chilled
- 4 ounces (115 g) fresh or canned and drained pineapple
- Pulp of 1 (38 g ) ripe passion fruit, (just scoop it out with a spoon)
- Ice cubes
- Simple Syrup
- Toasted coconut flakes optional
Pour coconut milk into blender carafe, then add the pineapple and passion fruit. Pulse on and off the blend then add a bunch of ice cubes (start with 6) and blend on high to create a thick, frosty beverage. Taste and add Simple Syrup to taste, if you like.
Pour in glasses, garnish with toasted coconut flakes, if desired and add a straw!
- I like Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk as I find it to be very consistent in its texture and flavor. You can choose between full fat and a light version.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.