This post may include affiliate links. Please see our complete disclosure here.
Low FODMAP Oven Braised BBQ Brisket
We love brisket! It is super easy to make – you start it on the stove and then it finishes cooking in the oven. It is braised in a rich, flavorful sauce in the oven for a long period of time, but it can be unattended, so don’t be put off by the time cues below. This Oven Braised BBQ Brisket is a powerhouse of flavor and takes advantage of FODY BBQ Sauce, which we embellish with some additional seasonings.
Beef brisket can be tough cut of meat, which is why we like braising it and take the approach of a low temperature and lengthy cooking time. It will become so tender that you will be able to shred it with a fork. We like it best on a soft gluten-free roll (like Udi’s Hamburger Buns) topped with some sort of fresh, crunchy slaw. We have also served this at an unconventional Passover seder!
Recipe Sponsored By FODY Foods
Oven Braised BBQ Brisket
Serve our Oven Braised BBQ Brisket on a roll with slaw, or on a plate with your choice of sides.
- 3 to 3 1/2 pound (1.4 kg to 1.6 kg) brisket, preferably flat cut, patted dry
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons FODY Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, divided
- 1 cup (72 g) chopped leeks, green parts only
- 1/2 cup (32 g) chopped scallions, green parts only
- 2, 12-ounce (340 g) bottles FODY BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (120 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (54 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C.
- Season both sides of the brisket liberally with black pepper and lightly with salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 5 quart (4.7 L) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear both sides of the brisket, until browned, about 5 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon garlic-infused oil to pot, turn heat down to low-medium, add leek and scallion greens and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Whisk in BBQ sauce, water, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, mustard, paprika, thyme and Worcestershire sauce, turn heat up and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and combining everything well. Add meat back to pan; liquid should come almost to the top of the brisket. Spoon some of the sauce on top of the brisket. Seal top of pot with aluminum foil, place lid on top of foil and place in oven.
- Braise in the oven for 3 hours. Brisket should be fork tender. Remove brisket to a carving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm while it rests for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, taste the sauce, adjust seasoning as desired. Slice the meat against the grain, or shred with two forks, and serve with sauce. (Reheat in sauce, if necessary). Serve with potatoes, grits, or pile up on a roll with slaw as seen in image. Brisket may be made up to 3 days ahead. Simply store in the sauce and reheat on top of stove.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!