Sometimes making something from scratch is the thing to do. Either we cannot get the same results any other way or we just truly enjoy the time in the kitchen. And then sometimes we want something quick and easy but we don’t want to sacrifice flavor.
This Rhubarb BBQ Sauce is a quickie recipe based on FODY BBQ Sauce and it is fantastic! Sweet, hot, tangy, thick and luscious and equally at home on slow-cooked pork, grilled chicken, fish or even tofu and vegetables.
Rhubarb has no detectable FODMAPs and we love using it in both sweet as well as savory recipes. You might have noticed that we have a cake or two, a tart, chutney and more. Just put “rhubarb” into our filter and you will see what we mean. You can also read all about this vegetable in our Ingredients column.
This recipe begins with cooking fresh rhubarb with all kinds of BBQ friendly spices and flavors like cumin, chipotle chile, smoked paprika and molasses in addition to FODY BBQ Sauce. During the brief simmering time, everything comes together into an easy sauce that is truly more than a sum of its parts. And, check out the Tips at the end of the recipe to see how easy it is to make a larger batch.
Check out our Slow-Cooker Pork with Rhubarb BBQ Sauce to see this recipe in action.
Recipe Sponsored By FODY Foods
Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
This Rhubarb BBQ Sauce is quick to make and takes advantage of ready-made BBQ sauce like the one form FODY.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 2 1/2 cups (600 ml); serving size 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons Garlic-Infused Oil, made with olive oil, such as FODY Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 1 cup (72 g) chopped leeks, green parts only
- 1, 12 ounce (340 g) bottle FODY BBQ Sauce (see Tips)
- 1 pound (455 g) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup (107 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, use the larger amount if you like things spicy
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the pot. Add leeks and sauté for a couple of minutes until softened but not browned. Add the FODY BBQ Sauce, rhubarb, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, celery seed, cumin, smoked paprika and as much chipotle pepper as you like and stir together well. Add some salt and several grinds of black pepper.
- Adjust heat and simmer, covered, until rhubarb is soft, about 10 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper and any other seasoning you might want.
- I have made this sauce a few times and have on occasion doubled the amount of FODY BBQ Sauce and used 2 bottles with the same amount of other ingredients. The first time I did this I needed lots of sauce and didn’t have time to start from scratch. So I simply added another bottle of sauce to the simmering pot of sauce and it worked very well! So if you want more rhubarb flavor, make it as described above. If you need lots of sauce or just love the flavor from the bottled sauce, add another bottle!
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday®Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday®is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!