Learn How to Make Our Super Quick Korean Beef
With this Super Quick Korean Beef dish in your repertoire, dinner will be on the table in no time.
On the Table in 15 Minutes
This dish came about when we had some extra ground beef in the Test Kitchen and it was dinnertime and we all needed to eat. Like now. We often make a big batch of rice and we happened to have some already made, which meant we just needed a flavorful beef dish using pantry items.
That was the challenge.
Fresh or Dry?
Sure, you could make this Super Quick Korean Beef with fresh ginger but we found that the ground ginger from the spice rack works in a pinch.
We call this “Korean” because it combines typically used flavors like salty soy, sweet brown sugar, spicy hot pepper along with the aromatic ginger and toasted sesame oil, which are often used in Korean beef dishes.
Multi-task and steam some green beans while stir-frying the beef and you will have dinner ready in 15 minutes! The sesame seeds are optional, but if you have them around (we store ours in the freezer) they add visual interest and texture to the dish.
Looking for More Quick Recipes?
Use our Recipe Filter! You can search for Quick recipes, which you can get on the table in 30 minutes or less, and/or search for Easy recipes, too. Those have 15 minutes or less of prep time, with perhaps longer time in the oven or cooking or resting time that can be unattended.
You’ll find meaty Quick and Easy recipes as varied as Lamb Burgers with Feta Tzatziki Sauce, Juicy Pork Chops and Asian Pork Lettuce Wraps (certified by Monash University) to a few pork loin recipes and that’s just for starters! And if you love this recipe you will also love our Low FODMAP Pork & Noodles.
For another VERY popular FODMAP IT!™ recipe, check out our Ben Lee’s Butter Chicken.
FODMAP IT!™ Super Quick Low FODMAP Korean Beef
Tangy, sweet and salty flavors combine in this super easy ground beef dish. If you have rice already made, dinner will be on the table in no time.
- 1/4 cup (54 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Garlic-Infused Oil, made with vegetable oil or purchased equivalent
- 1 pound (455 g) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (16 g) chopped scallions, green parts only
- 1/4 teaspoon white sesame seeds optional
Heat your wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and heat until shimmering. Break meat with hands and add to hot wok or pan. Stir-fry the beef, breaking up with a spatula as you go. After about 1 to 2 minutes or when the beef is about halfway cooked through add the sauce and continue to stir-fry until beef is cooked all the way through. Add scallions and sesame seeds if using and give the beef one last toss.
Serve immediately with hot rice, white or brown. Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop. (This makes a great lunch to take to the office, by the way).
If You Can Tolerate
- Fructans: If you have passed the garlic fructan Challenge you can use 1 tablespoon regular vegetable oil and add 1 minced garlic clove along with the meat.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more. For a more detailed explanation, please read our article Understanding The Nutrition Panel Within Our Recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes Created Just For You!
We take low FODMAP recipes seriously at FODMAP Everyday®. That’s why Dédé oversees our Test Kitchen and makes sure that each and every recipe works – and is low FODMAP following the most up-to-date science.
Read our article How Are Low FODMAP Recipes Created? for more in-depth information.
Rest assured that you will not find more trustworthy or delicious low FODMAP recipes anywhere – several hundred and counting.
FODMAP Everyday® Low FODMAP Recipes At A Glance:
- FODMAP Everyday® is accredited by FODMAP Friendly.
- Dédé is low FODMAP trained by Monash University.
- Dédé is also individual accredited as a recipe developer and FODMAP educator by FODMAP Friendly.
- We maintain our own professional Test Kitchen.
- Dédé has over 30 years of professional recipe development experience, including her stint as a Contributing Editor for Bon Appetit magazine and has written 17 cookbooks.
Come Join Our Low FODMAP Recipe Community!
Use Our Exclusive Recipe Filter To Find The Low FODMAP Recipe You Are Looking For Today!